the race to 1000 mph

Started by river1, October 07, 2009, 05:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

very cool article from popular science

the race to 1000 mph

http://www.popsci.com/1000mph

it tells of two teams going for 1000 mph. in the comments below, some of which are pretty funny, are links to two other teams going for it too. one of the more interesting bits from the article is the english team is going to use a 600+ HP V12 engine as a fuel pump :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

Interesting article. I wonder how good a chance the Eagle team really has at setting a record?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Good read. I want to be the pilot. An adrenaline junkie could get to a new level with this deal. I can only imagine what it feels like to lite the afterburner at many hundred miles an hour.
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

in the blue and yellow car above...  i guess thats just a drawing.. not an actual car...  i would worry about the over the top air inlet... lowering the pressure above the car..  and causing the nose to lift..   as it is pulling in a large section of air... that should be used to hold the car down..   the canards.. i would think would need to be hooked to the front wheel suspension... so if the front of the car started to lift.. they tilted down to remove the lift..    there would have to be a damping device somehow built in that only works in one direction.. so any lift by the car gets an instant response by the canards...  but any downward motion is damped...  without it.. PIO like problems might be introduced...  with stops so it could never be angled up to create lift..  perhaps.. a trim wheel to change the downforce on the nose of the car could be done..   with a pressure gauge on the front strut ... so you know how much down force the car has..

i would also think that some kind of spoiler would be devised to divert the airflow around the front tire... between the bottom of the body and the ground...  keeping the high pressure air out from under the tire..

i also would think that hydraulic powered speed spoilers would be designed in...   so you could slow the car... before you pop the chutes..  

these are just thoughts... from a bystander...