compressing a valve LIFTER

Started by butch27, October 06, 2009, 06:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch27

Working on the lifters to check if one is stuck. HOW do you even compress one to see if it's stuck? I pushed down with a phillips screwdriver but none I tried would budge.

wayne petty

there is a special tool...     with a long lever and a rod hanging close to the pivot point..  you have to put significant force on it to push the oil past the sides if the internal lifter body.. or thorough the check valve that is plugged

take it apart...    try not to scratch anything...  years ago.. my old boss had a lifter.. you could take the piston out..  wipe it totally clean with a towel.. spin the inner with his fingers... and it would spin for quite a while.. then he would take it out.. touch the inner piston with his clean hands... just the oil residue from his fingers was enough to stop the inner piston from spinning..

did the adjustable rocker arm nuts arrive???    why did you pull the lifters..

you have to set the replacement nuts like a chevy.. half a turn down from first contact...    you do not torque them.. as you will bottom the lifter out again...   if you want... you can set them to 0 lash.. ... i don't like to run them at 0 lash.. i like a quarter turn down... to half a turn down..   with them at 0.. all the lifter pressure is on the little wire retainer.. and they will pop out..

maybe we should talk again..

butch27

Money!  Just got my SS check and am ordering the adjustable rockers from Comp /cams. Thanks

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "butch27"Money!  Just got my SS check and am ordering the adjustable rockers from Comp /cams. Thanks

you are welcome for the SS check.

:lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

if i had known... i would have sent you a pile of lock nuts... and grade 8 flat washers...   the CC versions are just nicer...

16 each 5/16-24 self locking nuts...  NOT NYLOCKS..

16 each 5/16 hardened flat washers...

64 each 3/8 hardened flat washers...   i don't know how many you are going to need...   3 or 4 on each stud plus the 5/16 on top of each stack..

they sell grade 8 stuff at my local OSH hardware... 3 blocks away..  but the nice lady who reorders the nuts and bolts has not a clue...

hardened washers won't flake when they get rubbed slightly..

38HAULR

Lifters can be bled down carefully ,and progressively in a vice ,taking care not to damage any machined faces,or simply just dis assemble it.........Frank

butch27