Columbus GoodGuys...any advice for a first timer?

Started by couper, July 05, 2004, 10:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

couper

I've never been there. I printed a map and have a list of hotels in front of me, haven't tried to make a reservation anywhere yet, but will attempt it later today after work.
I'd listen to any advice you seasoned rodders have as to where to stay, not to stay, where to eat, etc.
I'll be going up on my own in my '34. I plan to leave Wednesday afternoon, stop somewhere halfway, show up Thursday mid-day and would like to stay where the majority of the other rodders will be congregating at night. Safe parking, the usual stuff.
What-say-you?
Thanks.
Lance

HotRodLadyCrusr

I say...... I'm really looking forward to seeing you again.  We're leaving Thursday after work and should be arriving intown around 9pm.  Rudy has been asked by GG to put VooDoo Child in the Pro's Pick area on Saturday, so thats where you can find us but maybe we could plan a place to meet on Friday too.

I'll call up Hammer Hank who arranged our room reservations and see if our group has another one, or at least get the phone number and you can call.  I'll send you a pm as soon as I get ahold of him.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

SKR8PN

Willy and I were going to spend the night with some friends down there,but,with the new pup,old Sophie,and other stuff going on,we have decided we are going to get there early Saturday morning and will spend all day there,but get home late that night. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Where is everyone else going to be?????????
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

grumpy

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Willy and I were going to spend the night with some friends down there,but,with the new pup,old Sophie,and other stuff going on,we have decided we are going to get there early Saturday morning and will spend all day there,but get home late that night. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Where is everyone else going to be?????????
Hey this is grumpy from HAMB..I don't reply here much, but read it alot.
We've got several rooms we are cancelling for Columbus do to booked two different hotels by mistake.
They are in Worthington, not far from the fairgrounds in a desirable area.
If I see interest here, I'll find out what hotels they are from my wife tomorrow and give ya'll the heads-up. I know rooms are at the premium by now.
let me know, Tim
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

HotRodLadyCrusr

Hey Grumpy, glad to have you here.  Looking forward to finally meeting you in person this weekend and seeing what you've done to improve Donzie's old ride.

couper

Quote from: "grumpy"
Quote from: "SKR8PN"Willy and I were going to spend the night with some friends down there,but,with the new pup,old Sophie,and other stuff going on,we have decided we are going to get there early Saturday morning and will spend all day there,but get home late that night. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Where is everyone else going to be?????????
We've got several rooms we are cancelling for Columbus do to booked two different hotels by mistake.
If I see interest here, I'll find out what hotels they are from my wife tomorrow and give ya'll the heads-up. I know rooms are at the premium by now.
let me know, Tim
Tim, I'm interested!
If you find out anything, let me know either here or by email, (Thr3wcoupe@cs.com) I'll check my email and the board today as often as I can.
Thanks ahead of time!
Lance

grumpy

Quote from: "couper"
Quote from: "grumpy"
let me know, Tim
Tim, I'm interested!
If you find out anything, let me know either here or by email, (Thr3wcoupe@cs.com) I'll check my email and the board today as often as I can.
Thanks ahead of time!
Lance
ok Lance. here goes.
Town Place (Marriott)800-331-3131 in Worthington
2- 2 bedroom suites
3- studio rooms(just a standard room)
Residence Inn(Marriott)same booking number as above(Worthington also)
3- 2 bedroom suites
3- 1 bedroom suites
NOW, if you call there and they say they're still booked. go online and get the direct phone numbers to each one and call directly to them.
That's the best I can do. She'll be cancelling them within minutes so hurry to the phones....
Tim
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

couper

Grumpy, I called the 800 number, and the local numbers. No rooms available. They had waiting lists 30 deep, so those people get the rooms first, unless I have an original reservation number to transfer my name and my own credit card to. Thanks anyway.
I'm not worried, something will turn up. I just need to do some homework, make some calls, rustle the bushes and flush something out.
Heck, I'll sleep in the car if I have to. See you all there.
Lance

58Apache

Since the others have the room stuff covered, I thought I'd provide another point of view from a different angle ( is that repeating myself? )

This thing is huge. There are so many different things to see that you had better review what is most important to you and make sure you get that in first .... if you only go one day.

The cars are in one section and number in in the "mucho" category. There are a few vendors hidden over by the cars as well as in the buildings and near the front.

The vendors are among the most I have seen at any show, only to be rivaled by the NSRA Nationals at Louisville. Look for the show specials on items for sale. Some really good deals here by Lincoln Welding, and name brand performance dealers that come to my mind.

There is a swap meet, games for kids, car judging, and several car giveaways if I remember right. I think there are some seminars going on as well but I never made it to one? I believe Boyd Codding debuts a new car to give away here.

Again, the fairgrounds is pretty good size, so covering all of it in one day would be tough unless you are moving fast. Get there early as they close the gates around 5 pm.

The event calendar says something about some evening event which I haven't figured out the deal on yet.

Wear a light colored baseball type hat, sunglasses, comfortable shoes and light clothes as it does get hot. Maybe even sun screen.

Take CASH for the small parts vendors. Most will take a card, but some may not. Especially if you make a small purchase. I think they have ATM's on the grounds, but don't hold me to it and expect to get gouged.

Expect to pay to park in addition to a hefty fee to get in. Bring your good-guys membership card as it gets you a discount on the ticket to get in, but not to park.

Oh! The customs are not only IN the Fairgrounds, there's plenty that park outside as well for your viewing pleasure! Some of the best I seen were outside the gates.

Did I forget anything?

Steve

couper

grumpy

Quote from: "couper"Thanks for the info. Steve.
He's right. You CANNOT see it all in one day. I tried 4 years ago, and about walked myself to death.
I am sorry about the room deal.
I told my wife we should've kept one spare in case you couldn't get one and you could've just used our confirmation number and last name to get the room. but I told her after it was too late.
It turns out I'm not leaving until sat. 5am instead of thur. a.m. as planned.
having babysitter troubles for my kids.
Well, I hope ya make it and everything works out.
See ya'll there.
Just look for my 48 Coupe
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

HotRodLadyCrusr

Grumpy, just for next time, if you have an extra room all you have to do is give the confirmation number to the person you want to give the room to, they call and place it in their name with their own credit card number.  Easy as that.

In the past I've always been the one to book the rooms for our group and I always over booked giving our extra rooms to buddies at the last minute....right Daryle  :lol:   This year has been alittle different and I'm the one receiving the extra room and placing it in my name at the last minute.

I hope you get all your babysitting issues straighten out cuz I'm really looking forward to meeting yout his weekend.

58Apache

Since the others have the room stuff covered, I thought I'd provide another point of view from a different angle ( is that repeating myself? )

This thing is huge. There are so many different things to see that you had better review what is most important to you and make sure you get that in first .... if you only go one day.

The cars are in one section and number in in the "mucho" category. There are a few vendors hidden over by the cars as well as in the buildings and near the front.

The vendors are among the most I have seen at any show, only to be rivaled by the NSRA Nationals at Louisville. Look for the show specials on items for sale. Some really good deals here by Lincoln Welding, and name brand performance dealers that come to my mind.

There is a swap meet, games for kids, car judging, and several car giveaways if I remember right. I think there are some seminars going on as well but I never made it to one? I believe Boyd Codding debuts a new car to give away here.

Again, the fairgrounds is pretty good size, so covering all of it in one day would be tough unless you are moving fast. Get there early as they close the gates around 5 pm.

The event calendar says something about some evening event which I haven't figured out the deal on yet.

Wear a light colored baseball type hat, sunglasses, comfortable shoes and light clothes as it does get hot. Maybe even sun screen.

Take CASH for the small parts vendors. Most will take a card, but some may not. Especially if you make a small purchase. I think they have ATM's on the grounds, but don't hold me to it and expect to get gouged.

Expect to pay to park in addition to a hefty fee to get in. Bring your good-guys membership card as it gets you a discount on the ticket to get in, but not to park.

Oh! The customs are not only IN the Fairgrounds, there's plenty that park outside as well for your viewing pleasure! Some of the best I seen were outside the gates.

Did I forget anything?

Steve