Next build day

Started by enjenjo, September 27, 2009, 01:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

just thought i'd offer.
i try not to keep TOO much scrap around here and thought if there was something you can use....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

39deluxe

I'm off on Sunday and Monday so I can't make it.

Tom

enjenjo

Quote from: "39deluxe"I'm off on Sunday and Monday so I can't make it.

Tom

Sorry to hear that Tom.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ohio Blue Tip

I will be there if the weather is not bad,
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

GPster

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"I will be there if the weather is not bad,
I suppose I'd better start checking the weather too. I'm not concerned about what it will be Tuesday but tomorrow and Wednesday will be driving days. Maybe I'd better start looking for some junk to put in the bed of my truck for ballast. GPster

enjenjo

We'll decide tonight if it's on or not. It's up to those doing the traveling.

GPster

I'm going to pass (chicken out) on tomorrow because of the weather today and the prediction for Wednesday. GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"I'm going to pass (chicken out) on tomorrow because of the weather today and the prediction for Wednesday. GPster

OK Joe, no problem. I would rather see you safe.

Ohio Blue Tip

Sorry, but  I can't make the build this time either.  Busy time of year and the weather doesn't look that good either.

Ken
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

enjenjo

Danimal

Glad we made it for the time we did. Came home, did chores and dinner, now off to Hudson.

Court wants to know if you'd sell him about 1 1/2-2' of the 2" x 3" tubing you've got for the frame. He needs to stretch his frame about 4 1/2". I think we should just go buy some because we'll need to put some bracing in it for the car if he decides to hard top it.

Fogot to ask you, Frank, did you say you might have one or two El Dorado/Toronado wheels? The Packard rims we got yesterday are too shallow and JUST hit the rotors. A 1/8" spacer would do me but they are 5 1/2" rims.

Looks like I may go junk yarding...

Happy New Year to all!

enjenjo

I dug out a piece of tubing while you were in the house, forgot to give it to you. It's about 13" long, is that enough?

Did you leave my socket here, or forget it?

Do you need a 4 3/4" bolt pattern, or 5"?

I spent a half hour doing a long post, the power went out before I could post it.

We had Danimal and his boys, Fatcat, Moose, Hot Rod Purple Pickup, and me here for the build day. We reworked the door frames so the doors fit much better now. Then we squared them up on the body jig, and installed the cowl top with Clecos. We finished fabricating the cowl sides, and got them Clecoed into place, along with the quarter panels. It's starting to look like a car.

I picked up a Volvo front end from Charlie Chops, we did some measuring, it's a lot too wide. We need a tread width of about 40", the Volvo is about 53" We discussed narrowing it, but to get it to where we need to be, the lower control arms, along with the spring pockets will have to be extensively modified. The up side, the spindles are useable on a straight axle, and so is the steering box. It has new calipers, brake hoses, and shocks on it, and we have the steering box too. So at this point, we are considering making a straight axle using those parts.

We did not get any thing done on the rear end, more on that later.

All in all a good day.

Danimal

Socket is in FRONT of the left tool box (wasn't sure where it went and wanted you to see it).

13" should be fine, we'll just fish plate it from inside and drill both ends of both pieces for plug welds.

5 on 5" (El Dorado/Toronado) Most likely will need 4 or 5. The Buick rear is a bit wide but then we can just rotate and maybe even 1 spare. CL Pittsburg has a set of 5 for $150 if anyone is over there and wants to do some shopping for me!

When's the next build day?!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"

I spent a half hour doing a long post, the power went out before I could post it.

battery back up  for the computer  or use a laptop with a good batery
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I picked up a Volvo front end from Charlie Chops, we did some measuring, it's a lot too wide. We need a tread width of about 40", the Volvo is about 53" We discussed narrowing it, but to get it to where we need to be, the lower control arms, along with the spring pockets will have to be extensively modified. The up side, the spindles are useable on a straight axle, and so is the steering box. It has new calipers, brake hoses, and shocks on it, and we have the steering box too. So at this point, we are considering making a straight axle using those parts.
Some of the Volvo front discs can have the inner bearings changed to early Ford bearings so they can be usedon Ford spindles. That might make it so we can install them on the Model A spindles and use them on that Midget front axel we have collected. Because (as near as I can find out) the Volvo spindles used kingpins it might be fairly easy to make an axel for the situation. GPster