TRiumph 1959 brake mods

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, September 27, 2009, 12:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Decided to cypher on this old Triumph car....

I took off the front brake drum of this 59 Triumph.  

7 inch drum , shoes are 1.25 inches wide, dual slave cylinder type of design.  I doubt this will function well in modern traffic and with a larger engine

Timken bearings inner:  07100S  ... outer 03062

Inner bearing ID measures right 1 inch with digetal caliber

Outer bearing ID measures about .623 - .625

THe spindle length  from inner bearing seat to the end of the threads is 3.775 ... not very long spindle to mount anything more modern.

Wheel lug pattern measures about 3.271 which is about 96 millimeters

May need a repalcement suspension  and steering  on the car.  Couple of friends(?)  :wink:  :wink:   have suggested I build the car gasser style with straight axle  and the usual  gasser stuff

:idea:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

If you use a brake hub and rotor from a TR2 to TR6, it will fit right on. If you use can use a spindle from a TR7 or TR8, that has bigger bearings and disc brakes. Or, using a Chevette Rotor, inner bearing 44643/44610, and boring the outer bearing bore out .090 for the stock outer bearing, you could adapt Chevette stuff. A Toyota Cellica RWD rotor will work using the Toyota inner bearing, and the Triumph outer bearing after boring the outer bearing bore.

Or you can use the stock hub, a redrilled rotor, and fabricate a caliper bracket.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I had some triumph disc rotors and calipers around.  i must have tossed them, cant find them.

I had purchased them for a possible brake up grade on my 61 Morris Minor.

It appears there are at least 2 bolt patterns for the wheels with 4 lugs. Small is around 3.750  and a 4 on 4.5 inch pattern with 7/16 inch studs thrown in there too.  American thread size on the Brit car
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Jbird

Tony Tony Tony If I'd a known you was gonna turn that pristine little limey beauty into one o them HOTRODS I'd a never give her to you.

Personally I like the gasser straight axle idea. One of my idears when I used to ponder on the little limey was to drop the whole powertrain out of a front wheel drive whatever was handy and slip it, subframe and all, into where the rear seat of blimey is supposed to be.

Now that I have another smacked up VW bug AND a 99 Buick Regal I may have to attampt the above mentioned transplant. I'm still ponderin on the track width.

Does enjenjo know everything about everything? Or does he just have a better internet than the rest of us?

Jay 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

enjenjo

QuoteDoes enjenjo know everything about everything? Or does he just have a better internet than the rest of us?

I just know where to look. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

38HAULR

And two more years of experience and gained wisdom over you Jay. :)  :)  :)  :)  :) .Frank.

Charlie Chops 1940

Heck, I've been known to call Frank from the side of the road to find out what sort of crop I'm looking. Whenever us guys around here get stumped someone usually suggest...call Enjenjo! He's the go-to guy.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!