What is the smallest car 4 cylinder motor ever made

Started by junkyardjeff, September 18, 2009, 08:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "tomslik"find an old samuri (4 cyl)or a geo metro (3 cyl)

hey  t-slik,  what rear wheel drive transmittin bolts up to the Geo  3 cylinder engine?

ya know, i heard of something but i can't remember what it was....
prolly an opel...

Opel Kadet  or GT?

:lol:

don't matter, vegas used the same 4 speed until 73 and then went to a saggy 4 speed.

hey, how about a saab sonnet V-4?

or a saab 2stroke?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

hey  t-slik,  what rear wheel drive transmittin bolts up to the Geo  3 cylinder engine?

prolly an opel...

Opel Kadet  or GT?

don't matter, vegas used the same 4 speed until 73 and then went to a saggy 4 speed.

or a saab 2stroke?

Si...  I had a 72 Vega wagon. I broke two Opel trans in it, then the engine puked.  

Bought and installed another 4 cylinder Vega motor with saginaw 4 speed trans.. feb 1975

Then the 327 - t-350 was installed a bout 1 year later.  After that, I started replacing the  differential in the wagon.  

Was the Saab  a V4  or more flat - boxer design?

:idea:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

prolly an opel...

Opel Kadet  or GT?

or a saab 2stroke?

Si...  I had a 72 Vega wagon. I broke two Opel trans in it, then the engine puked.  

Bought and installed another 4 cylinder Vega motor with saginaw 4 speed trans.. feb 1975

Then the 327 - t-350 was installed a bout 1 year later.  After that, I started replacing the  differential in the wagon.  

Was the Saab  a V4  or more flat - boxer design?

:idea:

if i remember right, it was a 60 degree v-4
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

Just some little memories today. The old Jeep four cylinder engines were 153 cubes (remembered by reading a recent Car and Driver in the doctor's office yesterday). Now the American Bantam engines were even smaller than that but you'd be hard pressed to find one of them. Now, on the rear end. Had a buddy that built a small "pulling tractor" for competition and his family was big on old jeeps and making pieces fit together. It seems the early Jeeps had a rear end that was wildly offset because of the transfer case they used on their transmission. He just shortened the housing and used 2 short axels so he didn't have the cost of re-splining or a special axel. You can go even further by using wildly negative off-set wheels and the Jeep rear brakes are small enough that you can fit them inside some pretty small wheels. It's fun to think of projects that have no legitimate use for me. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Crosley engine becomes more viable soon.  Rumors of new crank shaft bearings being manufactured has come true.  Should be available in a few months.

Crank bearings have been hard to find, specially the mains &  thrust
Tony

junkyardjeff

Even a tired Crosley motor would work good for what I want to do with it.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"Even a tired Crosley motor would work good for what I want to do with it.

I have tossed   around a project of hooking 3 Crosley motors end to end for a 12 cylinder powered vehicle.  I am not sure why

:shock:
Tony

Carnut

heh, heh, here's a Model T Guy who thinks like Crosley.

junkyardjeff

I seen a American Bantam motor today at a show and thats what I need,it has a updraft carb so no hole will need to be cut in the hood and I think its shorter then a Crosley.