Steering box on tube axle car

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, August 12, 2009, 12:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Is cross steering  a better idea on a tube axle car... like a gasser full bodied type car?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

C9

Either one I'd say.

You'll need a panhard bar if you run a single transverse spring.

Not necessary with parallel leafs.

A draglink side steer steering box would work ok, but you need to engineer them carefully to eliminate bump steer.

Cross-steer seems to be a little more forgiving in the bump steer region, but there's always a small amount of bump steer with either setup.

Lotta info on the HAMB about setting up a draglink steering setup.

Some of the best info about draglink steering has been posted in the last 6-12 months.
Check their archives as well.

(Cross steer is the usual Vega steering box deal with transverse drag ling.  Dragllink steering has the drag link running fore and aft.)

You can engineer some of the bump steering out if you set up the rear suspension so you don't get much rise or squat out of the rear end when launching.

4- links would be your best bet here.

So, you're aiming for a six cylinder Falcon that cuts 11's @ 90 mph? :)
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Crosley.In.AZ

hi,

no plans for a tube axle under the Falcon....  I have some friends that suggest radiased wheel wells and straight axle for the Falcon.

I have seen some tube axle setups with leaf spring mounted cross ways and no pan hard type bar for locating.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

On a race car, you can run a transverse spring  with cross steering by using a dead perch on the same side as the steering box, without the need for a Panhard bar.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.