The sweet feeling of success!!!

Started by 58Apache, July 03, 2004, 07:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Apache

Started my 396 ( bored to 410 ) today for the first time. I had it rebuilt last year, and just now got it to a point where I could start and run it.

Thanks to Enjenjo for lots of things including a lot of great advice.

Had to finish the re-assembly after yanking the engine to fish a bolt and washer out of the oil pan, but finished getting it all together today with lots of help.

That baby fired up fast and ran smooth and well. Minor problems like power steering hose leak and oil dripping from the valve cover with no bolts in it, but after fixing those problems, it fired right up again and cranked it up to about 2,000 rpm for 20 minutes.

Water temp stayed around 180, oil pressure started at 58 lbs and fell to about 50 lbs at 2000 rpms. Brought it down to idle after 20 minutes and let that sweet cam do it's thing with a slight lope.

Oil pressure was about 30 lbs at idle and water temp went up to around 200 without the cap on the radiator, and no shroud. But both stayed at that point.

Have to change oil now and clean up some mess, but I AM A VERY HAPPY MAN TONIGHT!!

I'll post pictures soon after I clean some things up. You have to see the modifications I put into this engine.

Ever seen a serpentine system with a standard rotation water pump?  

Steve

Next Topic >>

enjenjo

Good on ya Steve!!! So, you driving it to Bonneville? Plenty of time to get the body on.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58Apache

Frank,
         After all the rust I have cut out of that body, I am putting this car on a salt-free diet ;)

It will probably take me another year or so to get the body straight, painted, interior in, and modify everything like I want.

I needed to hear that engine run to give me the motivation to finish up cutting out rust and welding in new metal. I have a lot left to do including finishing the trunk pan replacement, inner and outter wheel wells, and quarter panels. Not to mention new fenders. Whew!

Man was I happy to hear that engine fire up so quick and easy!  It really went a lot better than I expected! Have a few leaks to fix yet, some cleaning up to do, and have to work with getting a shifter and linkage for that tranny yet, but I just made a major milestone that will provide a whole lot of motivation.

Now for an oil change, and then I guess I need to adjust the valves? Hydraulic just adjust by ear?

Steve

enjenjo

That'll work, should have asked me how to adjust them before you started it the first time, too late now.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.