Drag racing the 1962 Ford Falcon- update

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, August 02, 2009, 01:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I took the Falcon to the track for the first time since I milled open the log intake on the 200cid inline 6 engine in it.  A direct mount 2 barrel Holley 500cfm carb was fitted where the 1 barrel hole previously was located.

It was about 105*F at the track at 7pm...

First pass the starter had me back up and he lined me up to a better spot (I thought)  ... The Comp TA tires have never spun much at the drag strip since I have such a small CID engine.  Falcon has a 4.11 gear with posi, C4 transmittin

I cut a .115 reaction time , but the car spun the tires like I was on ice , so I lifted. I shifted to 2nd rolled throttle on.  The car ran slow 18.9 , but it ran 83mph which is as fast as the car has ever run.

Next pass  was the best of the night , ran a 16.01 at 85 mph which is 3 tenths and 2 mph faster than my previous best.

next pass , the car stumbled bad at the start, then the engine laid over at the 1,000 foot mark and I lifted.. it was then I remembered I had NOT put any gasoline in the car on the trip to the track.  it was very low on fuel.

So I bought 3 gallons of 100 octane gas for the old Bird.

Next pass was a 16.10 at 85 mph.

I decided to check the timing and jet the carb up since the plugs indicated it was lean..... that is where the problems began.

I learned I had not replaced a few tools in my track tool box...  :lol: But I found enough toools to get the fuel bowl off with the whole steel fuel line from the pump to the carb attached

The throttle cable end broke off as we tried to fire the car up to check for fuel leaks.

Since it was near 10pm , I winched the car onto the trailer and headed home.

On the trip home  about 3 miles from the house a trailer tire shook the truck and trailer then blew out.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I'd like to say congrats on the performance but it seems that maybe arriving at home without any fatalities might be more appropriate. Years ago, I traveled with a friend to your town to help him with his blown alky dragster. On this trip, we managed to have a fire in the trailer and on the tow truck before we got home. His family gave him a huge fire ext. for his birthday. I'm impressed with your mph. though.
TEAM SMART

phat46

..Never a dull moment!  Seems like pretty good times for 200 c.u. six!

purplepickup

Nice goin Tony.  Sounds like you're having lots of fun. :D

I think you got lucky having the flat only three miles from home. I was in Atlanta going to pick up a car and had a flat on my trailer at 3AM.  I pulled off at a dark exit in the rain and saw that the shredded tire had also ate the fender.  While I was laying in the mud trying to bend the fender back a bunch of homeless people came out of the bushes.  They circled me and watched without saying anything.....kind of like night of the living dead.  Ahh, the memories of roadtrips.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

I am having fun with the Falcon  and that is why I assembled it over a long period of time.

On craig's list locally  I found a 4.62 gear center section for the 8 Inch diff in the car.  the fellow claims it is a posi too.  I think the car could use a little more gear than the 4.11 posi in it now.  I may need slicks or street legal radial slicks  then

I am going to spend some time and a little cash to clean up the Falcon's  appearance.  Not too many bumps and dents in the car.  The body solder seams are typical 60's stuff... very poor assembly line workmanship
Tony

chimp koose

We have a guy at our track who runs a 258" amc 6 in his hornet (yes a green hornet,we call his crew man kato!)It runs 16s regularly. Last meet he sprayed a 50hp shot of n2o and went 13.54@100mph!

C9

Good stuff.

Why is it the rear trailer tire is the one that lets go?
True for motorcycles as well.

What do they charge to run?

The guys on Yellow Bullet (drag race forum) are reporting $150-$200. entry, $50. for crew.

Granted, these are the very fast doorslammers, but the payouts don't correspond to the high entries.

Prices were for several tracks in differing areas of the country.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

tomslik

85 mph!?!?!?
musta been a helluva tailwind :lol:

keep us posted when you can make a full pass...

oh well, who am i to talk, i'm still in limbo (as far as progress) until after this weekend...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

The track was a test n tune night only.... 20 dollars for car with driver, 10 dollars for the wife - spectator.  Quite a few folks were showing up after dark.

There is a   fellow with a early Mustang... 200cid motor with the aluminum head , 4 barrel carb, good rocker arms, built up short block... he runs in the mid - low 14's

The aluminum head is a 2500 dollar program for the head and matching bolt on intake manifold.
Tony

Sean

Quote from: "Crosley"The track was a test n tune night only....

I wish we had a strip. The closest one we had was the old M.A.R. track in Wentzville, and its covered over with subdivisions now. Only tracks we have left around here now are Dirt.

Crosley.In.AZ

We had a better race night this weekend...

new best time is 15.808 at 86.2mph.

For those that keep track the car has picked up 2 full seconds and 9 mph  since my first few passes with the Falcon.

I am slowing learning what this engine likes to run better.  I am going to need more traction  as the Comp TA tires are spinning more now as I launch the car

The problem with better traction is my wheel  well on the Falcon is very small  -  narrow.  I currently run a 215-60 x 15 Comp  TA tire
Tony

tomslik

15.8's is more like it :D

can you go to a real slick?

the stock class guys are using radial slicks with automatics.....

Glen

When are you going to put the turbo on it?  :D

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"When are you going to put the turbo on it?  :D

No forged pistons in my engine   for that.

Quotecan you go to a real slick?

the stock class guys are using radial slicks with automatics..

I have a drive shaft loop , so I can run real slicks or a radial street slick type tire.  Very little room in the wheel well area.  Needs more changes
Tony

tomslik

you CAN get some smallish slicks, they don't HAVE to be 9x30's;)

what are ya running for traction bars,anything?