Bars Leak...Yea or Nay?

Started by phat46, July 31, 2009, 04:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I have a very minor coolant leak in my '02 Dodge truck. It leaves two or three spots about the size of a quarter on the garage floor overnight after a day of driving. I can see that the leak is from the gasket between the waterpump and the block. I bought  a container of Bars Leak to see if that would cure it.  What do you guys think of Bars Leak? I've never used it, I always just fixed the leak but when i got one, i don't have the time or desire right now to fix this right. Can i get away with this for a while till things slow down and i can pull it apart? I have a fear that the Bars Leak might clog up the cooling system even though it claims not too. I don't want to make a minor problem into an emergency.

phat rat

If that's all it's leaking I wouldn't use anything, I'd keep an eye on it and try to make time to fix it before it got worse. Yes the Bars Leak coats everything which of course could lead to a clog somewhere.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

reborn55

Was told a long time ago that Bars-Leak was ground of chestnut shells--your choice--you could always use table pepper

wayne petty

do not use bars leak in anything except on its last trip to the junk yard...

you know all those nice little holes in the head gaskets...   the passages around the spark plugs in the heads..

the heater core tubes... the radiator tubes...

they will all be sealed forever with bars leaks...

autozone stores have radiator pressure testers in their rent a tool selection behind the counter...    pay for it.. use it.. return it.. get all money back.. and all the small will be  leaks found...

if you have compressed air.. you can pump air into the cooling system through the overflow tube...  with the cap on...  just a little. hold it in with your fingers...   if you do this wrong... you can make things that don't leak..   leak really bad.... if you mess this up...

which motor do you have.????

the 360's have a timing cover set that look like this

http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpages/partinfo_resize/ROL/TS13070.jpg

phat46

Quote from: "wayne petty"do not use bars leak in anything except on its last trip to the junk yard...

you know all those nice little holes in the head gaskets...   the passages around the spark plugs in the heads..

the heater core tubes... the radiator tubes...

they will all be sealed forever with bars leaks...

autozone stores have radiator pressure testers in their rent a tool selection behind the counter...    pay for it.. use it.. return it.. get all money back.. and all the small will be  leaks found...

if you have compressed air.. you can pump air into the cooling system through the overflow tube...  with the cap on...  just a little. hold it in with your fingers...   if you do this wrong... you can make things that don't leak..   leak really bad.... if you mess this up...

which motor do you have.????

the 360's have a timing cover set that look like this

http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpages/partinfo_resize/ROL/TS13070.jpg

Yes, i have the 360 motor. i can see where it's leaking, then where it runs down the front of the block, along the top edge of the oil pan, till it hits the motor mount and drips down to the floor.
I guess I'll pass on the Bars Leak for the time. Hopefully I can get to it in a couple weeks.  It's kinda funny, but now that I'm retired i can't find time to do this stuff.  :roll:

34ford

Had a similar leak on my Explorer and snugged up the bolts and stopped it for a couple of years. Did finally replace the gasket when I put in the new water pump that was leaking out the weep hole.

phat46

Quote from: "34ford"Had a similar leak on my Explorer and snugged up the bolts and stopped it for a couple of years. Did finally replace the gasket when I put in the new water pump that was leaking out the weep hole.

I checked all the bolts too, I only found one that would move the least bit. It was right about where the leak appeared to start from; who knows maybe I'll get lucky too.

C9

Are you sure the water pump isn't weeping at the packing gland?

That'll run coolant down the front of the timing cover.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

phat46

Quote from: "C9"Are you sure the water pump isn't weeping at the packing gland?

That'll run coolant down the front of the timing cover.

Doesn't appear to be, the leak looks like it's right up against the block, starting above the waterpump shaft level. the gasket there is quite crusty and the fluid "trail" comes right down there. I will replace the water pump when I fix the leak, it's only got 55K on it but I'm not gonna want to do this twice.

Topsterguy

For what it's worth I was told along time ago that Wynn's stop leak is the best to use in a rad. It's fluid, it's permanent, and you just put some in with your coolant change....takes care of any small leaks down the road. Works for me!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Sean

I've heard so many people complain about Bars Leak over the years, I'm surprised the company is still in business. The old Mechanic I worked for back when I was a kid claimed the stuff stopped leaks by stopping up yur Radiator and Heater Core...  :wink:  He always used copper-seal. I have used both Aluma-Seal, and Copper-seal with good results in the past.

Last time I used Aluma-Seal was on the Heater Core of my F100. It held for two more winters before it started leaking again. Don't know if it would work the same with a Gasket leak or not. All it seems to be is super-fine aluminum powder.