Speedweek 2009

Started by WZ JUNK, July 23, 2009, 05:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucketmouth

I'll be there Monday. Has there been any rain of late that could cause any problems?
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

purplepickup

Quote from: "bucketmouth"I'll be there Monday. Has there been any rain of late that could cause any problems?
No significant rain so far but it's been windy.....60 mph winds on thursday. This morning it's chilly, breezy and cloudy at sunrise.  Salt conditions are very good.  We're getting Hooley in line for the first run as I type. :D
George

Leon

First run on the long course was Poteet/Main 379mph on a 315 record

Charlie Chops 1940

We did a 249.112 run this morning, 8/10ths+mph shy of qualifying for a new record. We made some changes and the car is in line for an early run after backup runs tomorrow morning.

We're all having a great time. The weather has been cool at night and only to the mid-80's during the day. looks like we may have yet another day like it tomorrow.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

I  noticed saturday  Hooley was listed on the short course with speeds at 180  - 200 mph.   Surprised to see #974 on the short course.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"I  noticed saturday  Hooley was listed on the short course with speeds at 180  - 200 mph.   Surprised to see #974 on the short course.
Since they bumped the blower boost quite a bit they wanted a run on the short course to gather some data and catch any bugs that might have been hiding.  A significant oil leak was found and the blower was removed and we replaced the intake gaskets.  It was close to the exhaust and there was a chance of fire.  

The car is back in the staging lane and we're shooting for a run in the cool morning air.

Keeping our fingers crossed for a 250+ run in the morning.  The car is running good.

Great weather, great friends, and great fun!

I'd post pics but we get in too late and back out too early.
George

HotRodLadyCrusr

Lots of photos and video can be found in my thread here
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386667&showall=1

Will continue to add more over the next 15 or so days.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

purplepickup

We're packing it in.  That elusive 250 mph mark is still calling but it just wasn't meant to be this year.  The car ran consistently at 244 mph though and there weren't any major problems.  Another good and memorable year in the books.  

Now if the purple pickup makes it home with no problems life will be good.  The adventure continues.....I'm heading out right now. :0-0
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Must    be   some problems if you folks are packing it in already.

8)
Tony

Charlie Chops 1940

Phil and I drove from Wendover to Divide, MT yesterday and stayed in a Park Service campground on the Big Hole River. It was deadly quiet after the bend in the road at Wendover. Won't miss that for at least another year.

Senior coffee in Butte this morning, after which we spent about 3 hours at the Mining Museum there. We toured the Garnet ghost town this afternoon and are holed up in Lincoln, MT tonight. Showers, some news and a bit of catching up on the net tonight.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

sirstude

Charlie, too bad I am here in Spokane, you passed within 3 miles of my house on the way to Lincoln.  Nice little town, spent many hours on a snowmobile up there in years past.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

WZ JUNK

The trip home was interesting.

Hooley was driving with the cruise set at about 78 MPH when suddenly our left rear wheel left us and went to the other side of the interstate at about Kearny, Nebraska.  Hooley did a great job and brought the truck to a stop on the apron.  There was no sound or vibration prior to the wheel and tire saying good bye.  I found the wheel in the fence about a hundred yards behind us across the interstate.  It is ruined of course.  I think that little mishap cost us about $600 and a 5 hour delay.  I torqued these wheels before we left home.  They were aftermarket wheels that do center on the hub but instead rely on the lug nuts to support the wheel.  We were lucky that no one was close to us when it happened.  If there would have been someone in the other lane it could have been very ugly.  Now you can call us "Just Glad to be Home".

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Glad to hear you are home OK. Was there a problem with the race car?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Good to hear you guys made it home.  That could have been a much worse situation when the wheel came off.

:shock:
Tony