rust

Started by tompeters, July 23, 2009, 12:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tompeters

anybody have experience with electrolisis rust removal? i put a couple pieces in yesterday, but only left them in for a couple hours. did not want to leave it in my shed overnite. any good results from anyone?

crdnblu

If your definition is the same as electrolytic rust removal, then  yes, I've had excellent results with this technique.  I use a small 8" x 10" plastic container with the recommended WASHING soda solution, activated by my battery charger attached to two or more anodes..  Obviously, I'm doing small objects (taillight housings, brackets, etc.)  

The key to good results seems to be skimming off the orange residue that forms on the top of the solution, as well as cleaning off the black residue on the anodes between batches.   I replace the anodes when they start etching, and wearing down.

Also, my best results have been with DAYS in the solution, not hours.  As long as you see bubbles from your object being cleaned rising to the surface, there is still rust being removed, so continue the process.  Allow the process to work its magic; you'll be pleased with the results.

tompeters

yes that is it, i have heard it called a few different things. i had good results from what i had done even tho it was such a short time it was producing some results. i only have about 2 amps going in . what about different kinds of anodes, would that make any difference? would a piece of stainless produce better results? i had heard overnite or longer, but it was looking promising. nothing big just brackets and things to see how it works. is there a limit to the amount of amps applied? my old vicegrips are looking better, will it affect chrome?

crdnblu

I can't give you an answer on an amp charger higher than 2 amps; that's what I'm using as well.  Slow & steady.....
As for the anodes, stick with plain ol' steel, not stainless, as the anodes are sacrificial, which is what you want, taking the rust from your object.  
My first attempt used only one anode; I found that two worked better, with a short length of 12 gauge wire connecting them, using tight bolted together connections.

tompeters

my first attempt was for about a half hour and i soon realized that i had my leads on backwards, no way my little bracket should look like that :shock: .any effect on chrome? vice grips look pretty good, but thats not chrome. so far im really pleased with the results.

crdnblu

Here's the definitive Q & A site for the process:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

It says stainless anodes are OK, or better than steel; my experience says "no", but give them a try to be sure for yourself.  Also check out the answer re/ chromed items.......

tompeters

hey thanks for the link. good information. i will have to experiment with the anodes , but so far all my little parts are coming out pretty good . the hardest part is wire brushing after but very good results thanks again