Tranny for a 472" caddy

Started by 48ford, July 01, 2004, 10:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

The youngest son wants to know if you can bolt a 472"caddy to a 700r4 overdrive?
Thanks russ&Irene

Fat Cat

Quote from: "48ford"The youngest son wants to know if you can bolt a 472"caddy to a 700r4 overdrive?
Thanks russ&Irene

It can be done but you need to use and adapter plate as the caddy is B-O-P pattern and the 700R4 only comes in a chevy pattern.

DRD57

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "48ford"The youngest son wants to know if you can bolt a 472"caddy to a 700r4 overdrive?
Thanks russ&Irene

It can be done but you need to use and adapter plate as the caddy is B-O-P pattern and the 700R4 only comes in a chevy pattern.

Not to mention the fact that a 472 puts out enough torque to shred most 700R4's.

1FATGMC

Thanks russ&Irene

I might be wrong, but I think the 200R4 might have both bolt patterns.

Like Don said either the 200 or 700 in stock form probably won't last long, but a well built one, either one, can live behind the Caddy.

There are guys over on Chevy Talk running these transmissions behind high HP/Torque motors (up to 800 HP) with luck, but some have said they have $2000 to $3000 in the transmission.

I think a good rebuild job for $700 to $900 if you already have a transmission would work as long as you weren't drag racing with it like those guys are doing.

Tony can probably clear this up for you.

c ya, Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

======== interesting item on that comment is ;

I bolted together a 'test' 700 this week with some parts that have been rubbed on.  We are looking for a 500+ cid test vehicle to beat on this tranny.

Soft parts (frictions , band, steel plates) failure on the 700 tranny is way down.  When you turn the wick up on this tranny the GM built hard parts fail. We are testing some parts in this tranny that have been reworked.

We have a guy with a 69 Impala and a 502 motor. Not sure if he will get the car together as quick as we want.

Quote from: "DRD57"Not to mention the fact that a 472 puts out enough torque to shred most 700R4's.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

48ford

Thanks guys,
I will pass the info on to him.
Russ&Irene