Did a bit of 1:1 scratchbuilding last week....

Started by My52Chebby, July 12, 2009, 09:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

I started with two 24" and one 18" lengths of bent 16 gauge mild steel. Notice the radius on the lower edge.

To replace this piece that came with the Vintage Air, air conditioning kit that was to fit under my truck dash. The kit part is made of textured plastic.

This is the fruit of my metalworking efforts... I think it came out pretty good if I do say so myself.

This picture will show the trick I used to bend the s-shape.

The blue piece is a filler piece that I welded in after bending the outer pieces to conform to the dash.

The trickiest part was welding the saw cuts I had to make in the bottom radius.

What do you think?

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Are you going to cap the open side and use this for duct work?
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

My52Chebby

Quote from: "kb426"Are you going to cap the open side and use this for duct work?

The A/C vents will be be installed at both ends and the middle. Capping the back of the piece would still require flex hoses to connect and negate using the piece for switches, mounting the radio or the digital gear shift indicator.

Thanks for the comment though.

tompeters

great fab job , good job with the filler piece. really looks good

chimp koose

looks better than the factory piece for sure.

zzford

Very nice work! You might consider insulating your piece with something to help cut down on condensation. A number of years ago, I made an A/C duct out of metal. Worked great except on very humid days, it would often get condensation drip off it.