Alternator question

Started by slocrow, July 06, 2009, 10:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Hi; Coming home the other night with the electric fan and headlights on, I noticed I was at 11 on the volt meter. The reading at speed didn't change with revs nor with fan or lights or both shut down.
Checking today it first was charging at the usual 14 volts at 2500 on the indash gauge, 13 at idle. With a multi meter at the alt it was 14.4ish, 13 at the gauge and 13.2 at the gauge with the multi meter.
Upon second check I saw the in dash volt meter drop to 11 then back to 13 then 12 then 11 then 13 with revs sometimes affecting the needle and sometimes not.
Also I could hear a distinct rev change or drag with the needle change. A drag when the voltage increased and a more free wheel with the 11 reading.
I'm thinking internal voltage regulator.
Any concurrence?
100 amp, 3 wire type...............Thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Jokester

Hi Frank,

Sounds like the regulator is a good guess.  

On the back of the alternator you will see a small (3/8" max) "D" shaped hole.  If you look in you can see a small tab sticking up that's part of the regulator.  At some point when the meters are reading 11, stick a small screwdriver in the hole and MOMENTARILY  (no longer than it takes for the meter to read the change, maybe a second) ground it to the case.  It should go to full charge.  That bypasses the regulator.  If it charges that way, change the regulator.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

slocrow

Thanks Jokester; Just did the change and now 14.7 across the board without fluctuation, regardless of accessories on.............Frank :b-d:
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

The Paisano

Yep,sounds like the regulator like everyone else thinks.Just make sure that ther'e no corrison anywhere on cable mounts.IT will screw things up.
Paisano

Ohio Blue Tip

I always knew your voltage was low! :lol:  :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"I always knew your voltage was low! :lol:  :lol:

No Ken...That's the "other" Frank that normally runs with "Somewhat less than a full charge"....... :lol:  :lol:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****