Brake ?

Started by reborn55, June 30, 2009, 09:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Friend of mine just bought a 48 Plymouth--his first entry into streetrodding.  Pretty decent car for the money.  I kinda looked it over for him.  Brake pedal goes almost to the floor before applying. Power drum brakes.  On the way down you can feel it dart to the right.  Pulled drums etc.  Need new shoes, hoses and I figured a master cylinder.  Come to find out it has power booster and cylinder form 86 T-bird.  Haven't had a chance to see if there are any residual valves anywhere for the front brakes--but I am guessing no--causing all the pedal travel.  Would there be any problem just finding Ford dual master cylinder from power drum brakes and bolt it to the power booster, or would the year discrepancy create a problem.  I think a 68 Ford truck or Torino might work pretty well.  Any other advice.  thanks

enjenjo

Should be no problem, it should bolt right up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

Quote from: "enjenjo"Should be no problem, it should bolt right up.

OK so I got one for a 72 LTD(mistake)--ports on the side as old cylinder--new lines, wheels cylinders, shoes(PO had 2 primary shoes on right side and 2 secondary shoes on left side), front cylinders bleed great---rear have very little to no fluid coming out of wheel cylinders---almost no brake pedal at all.  had to lengthen pedal rod a little but still no luck.  I have ordered a m/c for a 68 Mustang with same size reservoir and will see what happens.  Any other possibilities.  Also PO used compression fittings in a few places on the car.  Hard to believe some things that are done to cars.

enjenjo

If there is no fluid coming out, A the hose is collapsed internally, B the  combo valve is stuck , C there is much air in it yet, D the master cylinder is defective.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

A--very little fluid if any coming from port on master cylinder that feeds the rear brakes.  B--no combo valve.  C--very possible.  D--ordered new master cylinder Friday