New Project: 54 Willys Station Wagon

Started by Danimal, June 23, 2009, 07:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

A neighbor of mine did a Willys Overland pickup a couple of years ago.  It came with a flathead 6 but he bolted up a later OHV six without changing much of anything else.  It was a nice little truck.

Edited because my abbreviation for Willys Overland pickup offended the language filter.  Not sure why, but it did!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Danimal

Spent some time washing and cleaning out the truck after we flipped the axle back to were it belonged. Sits level now and 10 pounds of rat turds out makes it much nicer to sit in. Found some pieces under the seat that go elsewhere. Still has the Willys Overland floor mats in it. Going to start ripping out the motor.

How do I take out the front driveshaft? It pulled out and I didn't worry about putting it back in when I flipped the springs. Also, does anyone have one of the front shackles? One of mine has the outer sleave part broken. I don't even know if I can get it out, it just turns and the center around the grease zurk is broken.

Danimal

There's a dude on eBay with a set of Willys Station Wagon seats for next to nothing but he won't ship. Anybody willing to pick them up and ship them to me? Even Greyhound? I'll hook you up with a Singlefinger Speed Shop T shirt or two for the effot!

I did a search and found a million California's and only Wisconsin for Janesville.

Thanks!

enjenjo

QuoteAlso, does anyone have one of the front shackles? One of mine has the outer sleave part broken. I don't even know if I can get it out, it just turns and the center around the grease zurk is broken.

Willys Overland parts is on Holland Sylvania rd just south of the railroad tracks  north of Airport highway. They have just about everything for those old wagons.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Danimal

Thanks, Frank. I checked that site today as a matter of fact. And I found the P/S 1/4 for $167.50 somewhere in PA as well. I think I'll do fine, just need to decide on a power plant. Looks like I'll take the stocker for now, I'm going to work on pulling the junk motor in the short term. It looks lots better cleaned up!

GPster

Quote from: "Danimal"Also, does anyone have one of the front shackles? One of mine has the outer sleave part broken. I don't even know if I can get it out, it just turns and the center around the grease zurk is broken.
Your best bett is to get replacement shackles from some supplier. Most everybody seems to be going with the rubber bushing style and the shackles, bolts and rubber bushings would be matched in a kit. If it's greasableIt should be the old trunion style where the shackle is just a big "U" shaped piece then it just is all threaded together with grease to lubricate between the threads and just replacing half of it is a joke because the other side is just as warn. Years ago JC Whitney had them in their Jeep parts. Dodge trucks used them too (my '48 had them) but the Dodge truck shackles were higher. I don't know exactlt what parts they used on there 4x4 passenger vehicles because my Jeepster is only 2wd and they didn't share that much with the other vehicles. GPster

Danimal

Which one of those should be left hand thread? I think that is the problem that the one is hammed up because it is left hand. The top part was RH but the bottom didn't come out and it cracked around the zerk. That's what I need, the U shaped one. All the rubber is junk on them anyway so maybe I should just get a set.

Better yet, I should get springs, as well, they are pretty rough!!

I need to get a PS door latch, a DS handle, and a DS window regulator and glass to close it all up. I may go that route. Anybody have any dealings with the guy east of Columbus selling parts?

wayne petty

i think there was a question about axle swapping...   which ones might fit..

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/154_0904_junkyard_axle_guide/index.html

i just found it.. i was sending a the disc brake conversion link to my cousin up in bellingham..  for a project up there...