Missing 47 suspension

Started by chopped, June 22, 2009, 05:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopped

I can get a good, complete 40 front suspension for the 47 Ford. Is this asking for trouble? I see the track would narrow a bit but what else? It's priced right and close so I'm wondering...

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chopped

Quote from: "enjenjo"Wishbone is shorter too.
The old plan was to split just enough to clear the trans, If I cant do that then it's to the frame. But, there is nothing that jumps out and says don't do it?

enjenjo

If you are going to split them, it shouldn't be a problem. The only other thing I can think of, I believe the 47 front crossmember drops more than a 40, so it may set high in front.

chopped

Quote from: "enjenjo"If you are going to split them, it shouldn't be a problem. The only other thing I can think of, I believe the 47 front crossmember drops more than a 40, so it may set high in front.
Thats good to hear I have an extra 47 crossmember and think I'll try to section it to get it down a bit. I'm not looking for "in the weeds"

chopped

Went to get it. Complete if you only need one drum and hub. Good if you only look at the 1/2 sticking out of the dirt. Live and learn. Still looking for a complete front suspension for a 47 ford. Willing to drive a bit for the right deal.   Skip

48ford

Check over at fordbarn.com, they may be able to help you.
Good luck
Russ

GPster

Just a quick bit of (probably wrong) information. The '48s had a track bar and used tube shocks. This might be a reason to refine you search for a year later. Also the '48s and probably '47s used a wishbone with a "Z" like drop in them. You might be hitting something with '40's style wishbones if you don't go clear to the outside of the frame rails when you split them. Also with the spring-in-front Ford front suspensions when you split the wishbones you have to bend the spring hangers so that the shackle hangers are paralell. They will be out of alignment when you split the wishbone. Also sometimes you have to bend the wishbone so that you have tire clearance on hard left/right turns. You might be better off holding out for a closer match axel. Of course you can dig-out that '40 stuff for trading stock. GPster

chopped

48ford, thanks I'll keep watching there.
GPster, I'm glad I passed on the 40, everything you said seemed to be true looking at it.

chopped

The hunt is over, picked up a 47 this A.M.

enjenjo