57 Chevy control arm bushings

Started by BFS57, June 08, 2009, 08:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Havent posted for a while, got a question.
I guess it's time to do the front end on my 57 Chevy. I do know that the upper control arms need the bushings replaced I also was told to replace the upper and lower ball joints.
So far, I have the parts, my question as I have to do this myself (due to the high cost of outside labor and my pocket book being flat as a pancake.
Question is in regards to the removal and insert of the upper and lower control arm bushings. I have the shop manual which shows "specialized tools" which don't exhist any more especially some "half" tube pieces that insert inside the control arm while pressing on the bushing.
Should I take these to a front end shop or fight with them on site as I can't work on the darn thing at home (nosey homeowner's *.) I have to work on it at my work which doesn't allow for as much time as I would like.
Anyone have any experiences doing this job to share (enlighten) with me?

Bruce

enjenjo

I made the half tube sections myself for doing Mustang bushings. I use them with a ball joint press from Harbor Freight.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

Probably won't like this--but I carefully use an air chisel to remove the bushings and then clean the control arms real well.  Grease the outer bushings, support the shaft and use a BFH and a large socket and then install the bushing.  Works for me.

Carnut

Heh, heh, the chisel and BFH and socket is the way I remember doing it on the few I have done in my life.

Think I still have a buggered up socket I used.

BFS57

Hello;
Thanks for the input. I read someplace on a Corvette forum that if you take the rubber bushings and put them in the freezer until they are needed that putting them in will go easier. Anyone ever thought about this?

Bruce

sirstude

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
Thanks for the input. I read someplace on a Corvette forum that if you take the rubber bushings and put them in the freezer until they are needed that putting them in will go easier. Anyone ever thought about this?

Bruce

The bushings are incased in steel and have a steel sleeve inside of them, so I don't know how cooling them down will help.  I have always used the zip gun and socket approach.  Now that I have a press, I will probably get the harbor freight adapters one of these days.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

BFS57

Hello;
Doug, Just what is a zip gun? Do you mean air hammer? I am thinking if I purchase a few tools it might be easier to do this myself and have the tools left over for down the road!

Bruce

bowtietillidie

Here is a quick tip for installing any press fit part . After proper prep apply
 a coating of STP to both pieces to be pressed together  It makes the press
 job go easy .
BOWTIETILLIDIE

sirstude

Zip gun is an air hammer, just spent too many years in the exhaust business.  Spending the money that I would pay someone to do the work on tools so I can do it, has pretty much been my choice over the years.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

wayne petty

first.... do you have enough compressed air to run a air hammer???

second...   you will need a set of these..

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=Hearing+Protector&Submit=Go

look around  the harbor freight site... they also have a pair for 3 bucks...

are 57 chevy lower control arms.. stamped steel like later models.. i did not think so, but it has been a long time since i have been under one...

if you have never done bushing replacements before... it is going to take you several days... in my opinion...

are you sure they are bad??????    not just slightly worn.. but enough to get a mechanic to put it on the estimate??

examine them... see if they are off center...   if you have little time at work for your own stuff. and no ability at home to work on cars or make noise...

have somebody in the know take a look at them.. see how much they are worn...

feel the tread on the tires???      is the wear pattern smooth between treads...  or jagged... or worn on one side more than the other..

you almost always run into extras to blow the budget on...

i have on later model carefully supported the front of the frame on tall jack stands...  lowered the lower control arms... leaving everything attached... except the sway bar.. and used sockets , washers, all thread, coupling nuts... to force the bushings out...  and back in...  

air tools require some  practice to get it right..  but again.. i don't remember what  factory control arms look like on a 57 chevy..

i thought the lowers were shaft mounted...

BFS57

Hello;
Wayne, The lower arms have a shaft through them and are bolted to the frame. The lower and upper are Stamped!
If you open the hood and look at the top bushings (in plain sight) you see the rubber sticking out in small pieces! The Passenger side tire looks great from the outside but the inside 1" is down to the cords! I'm thinking I will dis assemble this mess and take them to a shop to have the old ones pressed out and new ones pressed in! Shouldn't cost much (maybe).
I know this little adventure will be at least the better part of a week! Who knows what I will find when I take this stuff apart! But any money I can save will be helpful as my pocket book has been taken over by rising utility cost, grocery cost, insurance cost and No raises since two years ago!
It's a horrible thing to say but, I have to do this No Matter What!

Bruce

Jbird

I'm doing a set of 56 Chevy control arms Monday. I use an air chisel to remove the old ones. I got a set of Energy Suspension urethane control arm bushings from Sumit for about sixty bucks. The cool thing about the urethane bushings is that you can push out the innards, install just the outer steel shell then slide the innards back in. The shell by itself is way easier to press/drive/hammer in without all that spongy stuff in the way.    Jay 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance