New project

Started by enjenjo, June 07, 2009, 08:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Owner brought this over today for new door hinges. Glass car, 470" big block Chevy
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Looks like those front "tars" oughta jump right off the ground.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

BFS57

Hello;
Is that one of the Street Beast willies? I know they made one. Looks good!
Any car you touch makes it a whole lot better!!!

Bruce

enjenjo

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
Is that one of the Street Beast willies? I know they made one. Looks good!
Any car you touch makes it a whole lot better!!!

Bruce

I doubt it is a Street Beast, looks way to well made to be one of them. I'll see if I can find out.

kb426

Why is it getting new hinges?
My guess is it's an Outlaw.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Why is it getting new hinges?
My guess is it's an Outlaw.

The hinges that are on it, are die cast, and one is broken. I am installing a set of Stainless steel hinges.

57larry

nice looking Willys

purplepickup

Did ya take it for a test drive to make sure the new hinges didn't affect traction? :0-0
George

Danimal

How's it coming, Frank? Looked good when Court and I were down on Friday. Amazing how much engineering a "little" fix can take. I have to hand it to you!

enjenjo

I got the left door done today, finally found some time to work on it. There is no adjustment on these hinges, so they had to be drilled perfect. and each half of each hinge was drilled differently. So I made a jig that piloted off the hinge pin. Install a hinge half in the jig, transfer punch the holes, drill pilot holes in the jig, transfer punch the new hinge half, drill the hinge half, countersink it for flat head bolts, and it was ready to install. I hate to try and hold nuts inside the doors, so I made nut plates for each that matched the hinge holes. About 6 hours in just the left door.

So today I installed the left door. It was fine at the top, but the bottom ended up  needing 3/8" of shims to set it square in the opening. After having the door on and off 5 times, it finally closed with just a gentle push.

I also had to reconnect both the inner and outer door handles, the owner took it apart, and could not get it back together. Took an hour to do the outer handle. another hour on the inner with the reengineering to make it work right.

The right door is off now, two of the hinge halfs are off, so I may be able to get that done tomorrow.

enjenjo

I didn't get it done, life interfered.

Question, I have yet to install the hinge pins all the way in. I may have to take it apart again. The pins are serrated at the top to hold them in place. Both the hinges and the pins are polished, and the paint is of course done. Any suggestions on installing the pins without scarring anything up?

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I didn't get it done, life interfered.

Question, I have yet to install the hinge pins all the way in. I may have to take it apart again. The pins are serrated at the top to hold them in place. Both the hinges and the pins are polished, and the paint is of course done. Any suggestions on installing the pins without scarring anything up?
A "C" clamp? GPster

2rods

My bodyman and I tried a c clamp on the pins for the 35 and would not go in so he used a plate on top of pin and used an air chisel with a blunt end. I cringed when he did it but the pins went in so easy and nothing moved or was damaged.

enjenjo

There are two ideas. keep them coming.

papastoyss

Quote from: "enjenjo"There are two ideas. keep them coming.
I use a brass drift along with the usual BFH.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!