RRT racer "Want List"

Started by GPster, May 26, 2009, 10:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

How about making this a Sticky. I keep reading through page after page of comments on Racer subjects but I can't find what my memory knows is there. Maybe if the subject had it's own Forum people could find it. Mentioned was Thunderbird aluminum spare tire wheels. Then it was narrowed down for me to 15" and 5 lug but I need it narrowed down further to year because the junkyard I check at doesn't look in the trunks and say to themselves "I'll set this aside because it would make a great front wheel for a Crosley drag car". They'd rather say "There's a 'XX Thunderbird up on the hill, go look". Or maybe we could start something in the Classifides but I think something near the top of the front page might get more attention. Back to the original intention of this post. What Year? GPster                                                                                                 PS I type like I talk L o n g and boring.

enjenjo

The Tbird wheels we need are 15" by 3 1/2". They were for the space saver spares. We can use 4 or 5 lug wheels,  since we don't have hubs yet Mid 80s to early 90s I think Cougar and Mustang used the same wheels
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "GPster"Maybe if the subject had it's own Forum people could find it.

The subject has its own forum http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19 and has had since we decided to take this project on. No one seems to use it though. They want all the posts stickied at the top of the main forum.

GPster

I'm sorry, misuse of words. I should have used the word Topic. I'm aware of the other Forum but I thought it was only open to shareholders. I just thought that what we need and what we're doing might be of interest to all the membership and lurkers and that the racer Forum was mostly for shareholder use. GPster

GPster

Our local "Flea Market" has a dealer with quite a few industrial nuts and bolts. I noticed some Grade 8 3/4" bolts today, isn't that the size of the 4 bar rear suspension links? Give me some dimensions, shank length and   un-threaded shank length (so that some of the threaded length can be cut off and the bolts can be used similar to aircraft length). They usually sell these bolt selections by weight so maybe I can come up with something. GPster

GPster

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. GPster

enjenjo

I missed this joe. Let me figure this out.

GPster

OK Here's is the best figuring I can do. McMaster Carr specs show 3/4" spherical rod ends having the width on the ball of 7/8". Figuring the plates to be 3/16" thick that gives us  3/16" + 3/16" + 7/8" = 1 1/4".  Adding shims and washers to that will take up some room so we now are in possession of 8 Grade eight 3/4" bolts 3 1/2" long that have an             un-threaded shank length of 1 1/2".  The pile of bolts I went through appeared to have bolt lengths divided by 1/2" so these seemed to be a closer choice than 3"or 4". I was suffering with-drawal about not having done anything with the Crosley and not having typed a boring dissertation in a while. GPster

enjenjo

Are these fine thread bolts, or coarse thread? I am figuring on using lock nuts, probably half nuts at that.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Are these fine thread bolts, or coarse thread? I am figuring on using lock nuts, probably half nuts at that.
They're fine thread and they didn't hav any nuts to choose from. Figure if they'll work, if not I'll look for 3" next weekend. GPster

enjenjo

3 1/2" should work. We will need about 8 of them.

Pete

When using spherical rod ends you might consider using the seals available from Speedway. They sure make for longer life of the ball by keeping dirt out. They add about .020 each to the thickness package.

enjenjo

I thought about that. In my experience the rod ends wear fast.

Pete

That is correct. In dirt racing they won't last 2 races.
The ones on my street machine are 10 years old and still like new.

enjenjo

I picked up a pair of slicks today. MT 28 1959 15W. Only 6 runs on them. Only a year old. $185 for the pair.