lincoln versaile ? spindles

Started by tompeters, May 21, 2009, 09:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tompeters

i have a 64 falcon and have access to these spindles complete with rotors and calipers. the bottom ball joint hole is said to be too big for my ball joints. also i heard new lincoln ball joints for the versaile ? are not available . mustang steve has tapered bushings for this swap , anyone know about this suject? i can get these spindles cheap and that is the name of my budget too ! hope i can go this route . thanks for listening :? [/img]

enjenjo

I have not done this swap, however I have done swaps using the tapered shims with no problems.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tompeters

thanks for the reply. i was hoping  to get positive responses , ihave a lot of thoughts about this swap and am trying to go over it as many times as i can to elimanate as many mistakes , in my mind as i can before i actually do some harm to my car.many other things i want to do to this front end .not wanting to go the mustang2 route because of my engine choice. i have a newly rebuilt 351 out of my 78 pickup that i already have . was thinking of making new upper and lower arms similar to mustang but without the same type of crossmember because of my engine choice. remove my shock towers for the room i have to have or there will be no exhaust room. i am a welder , so i can fab all new mounts for the arms and coil springs .want coil overs, but my budget wont allow at this time. every thing is still all in place until i get things worked out in my head and on paper.still giving this alot of thought,i think i can make it all work, just trying to be careful, also want to keep my rear steer setup

enjenjo

Is this a 351M? You're going to need a lot of room for that.

You can use the Versaille spindles with Mustang control arms and set it up rear steer. Run the strut rods forward.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

if you have the spindles with rotors complete... and the lincoln is the same as a granada... for the most part...

i think that i would throw the spindle with the rotor mounted  in a rim sitting on the work bench... and measure out the x,y,z of the upper ball joint holes, the lower ball joint holes and the steering arm location..    mark it on the rim.. put the rim on the car and  measure the one on the car...   as i under stand.. the later steering arms are longer...  so there might be reduced turning angles when installed...    there have also been problems with bump steer on some.. and others have no problems ...

i have seen MS machined tapered adaptors... they look good..

with the measurements you can get in a little while... you should be able to see what changes you will need to make it all work...

tompeters

yes it is 351m and i do need lots of room .its been in and out afew times to visualize and measure. it will fit , but only without shock towers.and a small crossmember i was thinking of maybe a mustang2 type coil spring hat with wider lower arm. i forgot about my trans, it is a c6 another monster for this size car. may have to modify my trans tunnel and firewall a little too. if i had a 302 all  my problems would be very small ones . but this is what i have to work with. not impossible, but brainwracking . still have a long way to go before i reach the point of no return!

wayne petty

i don't remember if it was over at mustang monthly.. or fast fords...

they had an article about what you are thinking.. where they put a dohc ford mod motor in an early mustang...

i will see if i can find the link...

i had it bookmarked.. but i was cleaning house and managed to erase the bookmarks...

tompeters

hey wayne thanks for the thoughts. yeh looking at other projects helps the things rolling around upstairs . ive done other swaps with some poblems, but this one i do not want to end up on the back burner because of too many headaches. i have seen it before. i worry too much ,but  i havent cut any thing yet . one good thing is i am starting with a pretty clean car only a few small holes in the floor frame rails front and rear are very clean under the rust proofing some one put on when new. :D

wayne petty

if you don't want to end up with tons of work.... instead of wedging in a 351W  why not drop in a 331 stroker... and a built C4 or overdrive A4OD..

you don't have to cut anything to put them in...  

as for installing the disc brake spindles???   measure it out...

if you really want some work... why waste time with a 351W..   go for the supercharged 5.4... same amount of work swapping out the front suspension...

tompeters

wayne ,i already have the 351 and trans. rebuilt last year. barely broke in before it was stolen and rolled . it is what is left of that truck. i do not mind the amount of effort it is gonna take , but i want to try to work as much out before i begin cutting. i cannot afford to invest more in another engine, but i can afford to make my parts

tompeters

hey wayne, thanks for those links, now i have even more thoughts rolling around . there are lots  of nice ideas , some are pretty far past my budget, but nonetheless very nice to think on . gotta go more dreamin to do thanks.   :?  as always tom.