38 chevy steering gears

Started by ron morrow, May 19, 2009, 12:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron morrow

Glad to be back, Years ago someone from "the table" sold me some 39 steering gears .(for shipping cost) brain gas, I don't remember the guys name. I thank you immensly. they went right in n are better than the replacement ones from vintage chevy. I love my original steering wheel. (rebuilt of course). Made a dash panel from common 1/4" alu. Wash it with acetone n a paint brush n the scratches are so bad it's ugly. Just got some 6061 plate and going to go for it. I'm not into "buying" my ride. I either make it or it doesn't get it.        Every day is beautiful, some just more than others. :D

Crosley.In.AZ

I will bump this up,  and ask why you keep posting in the 'test forum"  ?

:?:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

ron morrow

Quote from: "Crosley"I will bump this up,  and ask why you keep posting in the 'test forum"  ?

:?:
Sorry, I did it to test, but havent posted since.

enjenjo

You know, if you have the dash made already, it's not a big deal to repolish  it. There will not be that much difference between"common" aluminum or 6061, they are both easy to scratch.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

C9

Along these lines, I've found that most plate aluminum you find 3/16" & thicker is 6061 T6.

It's the round billets that are made in differing grades.

Got some 5054 T4 once, the shop that sold it insisted it machined great.
Not so, it machined like frozen peanut butter....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

ron morrow

After polishng this thing at least 10 times then wash it in acetone using a paint brush and have it come out all scratched up I'm about to give up and paint it with black wrinkle paint to match the rest of the dash. I"ll give the 6061 a try or just accept the fact it will look well used and have scratches. I"d like it to resemble chrome.                   Every day is beautiful some just more than others.

enjenjo

Quote from: "ron morrow"After polishng this thing at least 10 times then wash it in acetone using a paint brush and have it come out all scratched up I'm about to give up and paint it with black wrinkle paint to match the rest of the dash. I"ll give the 6061 a try or just accept the fact it will look well used and have scratches. I"d like it to resemble chrome.                   Every day is beautiful some just more than others.

To do it right, you have to remove the scratches before you polish. Start with 220 sandpaper, and remove the scratches. Then go to 400, and remove the 220 scratches. then 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500. At that point you can polish it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

When you get to polishing it try Autosol polish ,the stuff works great.

ron morrow

I went thrugh the 220 to 1500 and used some really good polish on the soft metal one. then wash it in acetone so it could be painted with clear lacquer. but if I used a paint bush to help wash it off it scratched it up or dulled the shine. Just started the same process on the 6061 hopeing it turns out better. As long as we're talking about shine, any ideas on what will take mass scratches out of some jeep soft top windows? Everyday is beautiful some just more than others. :D

wayne petty

last week i got a bottle of meguiars  plastx from AZ...  used it to polish the haze off some honda plastic headlamps...     was sitting here trying to see my cell phone through the leather and clear soft plastic lenses..  i tryed it...  clear... i can now tell who is calling me... along with being able to see the display...

it might take two people to do it... with somebody holding a backing panel to the plastic window so you can exert some force..

you might also invest in one of those 10 to 15 buck head lamp polishing kits.. that fit in the end of a drill... might save you from looking like the karate kid... wax on.. wax off...   do try a small corner first...

i have been happy with the results that i have gotten...  but wait for more opinions.. before you buy anything..