Rear wheel bearing

Started by phat46, May 17, 2009, 03:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

What's involved in changing a rear wheel bearing in a '01 Olds Intrique? My friend has one that making noise and i told him i'd help him change it.

tomslik

pull the caliper+rotor, remove the 3 bolts holding the hub assy and unplug the abs wiring.
shouldn't be a big deal (if i remember correctly).
just paying for the hub might be;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

wayne petty

link to a picture of the hub, bearing and ABS sensor assy..

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/tim/512237/image/8/

just so you know what you are looking for...

i am not sure if that takes a big torx bit tool or not...

looks like you may have to tangle with the parking brake assy...  but i am not sure...

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/24/36/c6/medium/0900c152802436c6.gif

enjenjo

I believe those come as a hub/bearing assembly that you just change out.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"I believe those come as a hub/bearing assembly that you just change out.

Yeah that's how it comes, my friend was talking about needing a puller and special tools to get this done. He thought it was a front bearing till I took a ride with him yesterday and I could tell the noise was coming from right rear. I thought it was just nuts and bolts, but it's been many years since I've done a rear hub/bearing assbly. and the last one i did needed a puller.

tomslik

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I believe those come as a hub/bearing assembly that you just change out.

Yeah that's how it comes, my friend was talking about needing a puller and special tools to get this done. He thought it was a front bearing till I took a ride with him yesterday and I could tell the noise was coming from right rear. I thought it was just nuts and bolts, but it's been many years since I've done a rear hub/bearing assbly. and the last one i did needed a puller.

frt ones are the same way....
hub assy...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat46

Got it done, solved the howling problem. Pretty simple except that he had it all apart before i got there and it took a few minutes for me to figure out how it goes back together.