for all you Studebaker fans

Started by Jokester, June 29, 2004, 12:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokester

Saw this Stude at a local show in Independence, KS.  It started life as a 4 door sedan.  They added some GM wagon side windows and built a roof to fit.  Runs a 472 Caddy engine.  Very nice.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

phat46

Quote from: "Jokester"Saw this Stude at a local show in Independence, KS.  It started life as a 4 door sedan.  They added some GM wagon side windows and built a roof to fit.  Runs a 472 Caddy engine.  Very nice.

Nice, looks like something Stude shoulda built in '53...

SKR8PN

Nice, looks like something Stude shoulda built in '53...

If they would have built that in 1953,can you just IMAGINE what they would be building TODAY??
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

hotrodsnguns

When I was in jr high school so many years ago I will swear the excentric down the road had a 50"s something Stude with a Caddy from the factroy and it had a three speed overdrive.  Some one please tell me that was not a weird dream.

enjenjo

Quote from: "hotrodsnguns"When I was in jr high school so many years ago I will swear the excentric down the road had a 50"s something Stude with a Caddy from the factroy and it had a three speed overdrive.  Some one please tell me that was not a weird dream.

It wasn't a dream. A fellow by the name of Bill frick built them for several years, and called the Studillacs. He also built Fordillacs before that out of shoebox fords. I looked at and drove a Studillac in 1966, I could have bought it for $75, but passed on it, I was in the service at the time. As I recall, it had a near bone stock Caddy engine, a european 4 speed of some kind, ------De Laycock was the brand, Lincoln rear end and front brakes. It also had wire wheels, a leather padded top, and leather outside arm rests on the doors. Seeing as how it was a lengend from my youth, I was a bit disappointed in the car. At the time, my driver was a L79 Nova, so it was not much on acceleration compared to my daily driver. The wire wheels popped when cornering hard, and the trans  just wasn't matched to the engine as far as ratios, they were intended for a much smaller engine, so were much wider than needed with the caddy.

I faced the same disappointment the first time I got to drive a Mercedes 190 SL, but that is another story.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

flt-blk

Looking at the doors, it was probably a Conestoga 2dr wagon, not a 4dr.
I have a buddy that runs an R3 supercharged 289 in one, it is a bad *
ride.

My 55 Commander Coupe (That comes home to Texas in Aug.) has the cove completley in the door and the door is longer too.

TZ
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang