700R4 shifts at too low RPM

Started by zzford, May 02, 2009, 12:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzford

I recently installed a 700R4 in my coupe and I am very happy with it. Last night, I noticed that on hard acceleration, it shifted at only 3500 RPM. That's 2500 RPM lower than my redline. I believe it has been that way since I put the trans in the car. I suspect the problem lies in the TV cable adjustment. Anyone know for sure? is the cable too loose or too tight?
I checked the cable adjustment. it seems OK. The shifts seem to be good, just shifting at too low an RPM under full throttle. Any suggestions?

wayne petty

is the center line of the throttle shaft to the center line of the TV cable hook up 27MM...   depending on the age of the carb.. you may need an adaptor to get the length from center distance correct... this will give you the proper pull ratio....

engine OFF>..  

holding the throttle wide open.. is there any slack in the throttle valve cable???

with the throttle closed... is the throttle valve cable slack?????

there should not be any slack at either position...  at idle .. the cable will still have spring tension on it...

zzford

Wayne, Thanks for your reply. Yesterday afternoon I tightened up the cable some. At WOT, the cable was tight enough to start to flex the cable mount so I backed it off just enough to eliminate the tension. Driving the car, it doesn't want to change gears under light throttle, until a too high a RPM. It does really bang a gear at the shift. My max RPM under WOT is a little higher now, maybe, 400 RPM. I suspect the cable is too tight, now. Could this be a governor problem? Note: prior to yesterdays adjustment change, the cars shifts were normal, except fot the WOT shifts being too low. Thanks, Fred

zzford

Oh, yeah, it does have the throttle adapter on the carb,

Crosley.In.AZ

here is the 700r4 - 4L60 shift deal:

The TV cable needs full pull at WOT.  The geometry needs to be darn close at the carb / EFI... Sounds like you have the carb corrector device installed.

700 / 4L60  trans  are calibrated to the application the trans is installed into by GM

you may have a trans calibrated for a low end power engine combo.. the shifts are early at WOT.  You may also have a sticky TV inner valve on the valve body.

The valve body shift valves are sized differently in some applications , the springs on these valve are slightly different too.  Ounces in spring tension change make for several MPH gear shift change in the vehicle.

To raise the WOT shifts  the governor needs a re-configuration.  There are after market weight and spring kits offered for this.

The re-config of the governor will only work to a certain level ..... then the inner springs on the shift valves of the valve body need changing and there are no kits for that.

On the governor =  the inner weights have more affect on shift points over 35 mph ( gear ratio , tire size affect this number) ) ... the inner springs on the gov have the most affect on shift points under 35 mph = light throttle

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

zzford

Thanks, Tony. I guess I'll try the springs.