1934 Ford;I need a narrower rear

Started by CruZer, April 20, 2009, 09:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CruZer

Does anyone on here know of a CHEVY rear differential that is about 54-56" wide outside of drum to outside of drum for my '34 roadster?

I have a Chey rear out of an '80's car,I don't know if it's from a Camaro or Monte Carlo (it might even be out of an S10) in my '34 Ford roadster now and it measures about 61" wide and I need something a little narrower with leaf springs.
I want to stick with a Chevy rear because I have a new set of AR Torque Thrusts with the Chevy bolt pattern for the back and I want to use them but I hate the way they stick out.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,Glenn.

enjenjo

2x4 S10 is 54" axle flange to axle flange.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

Well if 61" is outside to outside then,

57.75   1962-1964   Chevy II/Nova
57.75   1965-1967   Chevy II/Nova
58.00   1978-1988   Chevy Malibu, Monte Carlo

would be narrower.

Charlie Chops 1940

And I think the early S-10 4X4 is 56" outside to outside. I used a 2wd on my track roadster and it's a perfect fit there.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

The S10 2WD is right at 54" ( like Frank said) but when you get into the 4x4 you're closer to 59" (at leas one out of a '92 is). Check around and see if you can find someone doing an S10 frame swap as the reccommended treatment is to use a 4x4 rear end under a 2WD frame to get extra width for wider bodies and use 2 1/2" wheel spacers on the front to match. They might have a 2WD rear end laying around. I do. One note, when the rear ends started having speed sensors on the brake drums the pieces are different. I've been told that you don't have to hook up the sensors but with the drums deeper and the backing plates different my '87 parts are not spares for my '92 rear. If you were closer I've got an '87 2WD with 3:73 gears. One more little note. There is supposed to be an early S10 rear end floating around that is 53". They were used on S10s 2WD that were ordered with 15" wheels and the healthier engine. Of course everyone putting a V8 in an S10 is wanting a narrowed 9" but who knows if the need it or not? GPster