Need help with Holley Carb

Started by 41woodie, April 13, 2009, 03:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Purchased a Holley many years ago and am just getting around to using it.  The list number from the airhorn is 80504 which isn't mentioned on any Holley list that I can find.  Without a reference number I can't find out the part no. specs etc.
I'm trying to determine what the correct fuel pressure should be and also deciding if I need to replace a fuel tank.  The current tank is a clean stock unit which has the stock 1/4" outlet.  The engine is a mildly warmed up 350 and I don't know if 1/4" is adequate to supply necessary fuel.
Any info would be appreciated.

rumrumm

I think that 3/8 inch would be a better choice for the outlet than 1/4 inch. But you should be able to get by with 1/4 inch if you don't plan on doing any quarter mile blasts. As far as pressure, 5 lbs. should be about right, although I ran a Holley on 6.5 lbs several years ago, and had no problems. A Holley is less sensitive to pressure than an Edelbrock. I run my Edelbrock at 5 lbs.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

41woodie

Quote from: "rumrumm"I think that 3/8 inch would be a better choice for the outlet than 1/4 inch. But you should be able to get by with 1/4 inch if you don't plan on doing any quarter mile blasts. As far as pressure, 5 lbs. should be about right, although I ran a Holley on 6.5 lbs several years ago, and had no problems. A Holley is less sensitive to pressure than an Edelbrock. I run my Edelbrock at 5 lbs.

Lynn, thanks for the response, you are kind of backing up what I was thinking.  The engine is a 350 in my 41 Woodie so there's not a bunch of racing planned for it.  The stock 1/4" line fed the 350 when it was a tired old two barrel.  Now it's nice and fresh with a Holley, roller rockers, small cam etc. but the only time it'll get it's legs stretched will be passing someone, entrance ramps and an occasional salute to my misspent youth.  My thought would be that running a 3/8" line would provide enough gas volume to allow for short bursts and that the system would be able to easily catch up at normal throttle.  The only 1/4" would be the pickup and maybe 6" out of the tank.  Thanks again