A far out 700R question

Started by GPster, April 13, 2009, 08:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

After seeing various talks about problems connected with TV cable adjustmenton on these transmissions I've become very leery of trying to make any quick fixes or changes in their vicinity. I looked at Sumner's site just to make sure of what they're called but the rest of my problem is far off any performance realm. The drivetrain for the Jeepster is an '87 GMC 2.5L four out of an S15 2WD pickup. The transmission behind it is supposed to be a 700R and it worked at least well enough for me to drive the truck out of the junkyard and on to the trailer under it's own power. Reverse worked to get it off the trailer but the transmission doesn't have "Park". There are no big puddles of ATF under it so I'm dumb enough not to worry about that problem yet. With everything cleaned off around the engine/transmission I notice that the end of the TV cable is frayed. With the concern that I've been given over it's adjustment I felt that the best approach would be to secure the correct replacement and then find out how to change it. A trip to Auto Zone got me the information that they do not supply those parts. My question "where?" pointed me to NAPA.  Because I can look at NAPA on line I tried to make sure I knew what I was looking for. Then confusion (more) set in. I was never sure that I had found the part and certainly never sure of the engine application and then I start seeing cable repair kits. My searching the WEB further never gave me a better answer and there were so many performance up-grades I wanted to find information from somebody I could trust. So here I am. Do these cables typically fray? Is this why they offer repair kits? Is that the correct way to attack this problem? Because this cable housing has special attachment ends and there is no adjustment  I'm leery about repairing something that's length is critical to it's application. What do I call the complete correct piece and where can I secure one? GPster

ragdol

It's the TV cable, & the last one I got was from GM dealer for about $12. To install,take the bolt out that holds the cable in the trans. Pull it up to expose the wire (rod) that it's fed into. Uncouple the TV cable feed the new one in, & feed it back into the trans. Reinsert the bolt & you're done under neath. Hook upcable on carb & adjust. You're done. Larry

Leon

Here's the link in the tranny

Here's how the cable hooks to the link

After connecting it the whole thing slides into the cable housing to prevent it from detaching itself.

GPster

Thanks for the information and pictures. I was hoping that the transmission end would be easy. The throttle body end is self explanitory. The throttle cable makes a 90 degree change of direction around a wheel on top of the intake manifold and the wheel turning pulls the TV cable. The mounting bracket that the wheel is on has slots in it's mounting and that appears to be the only adjustment in this system. When I locate a new cable and get it installed then I'll worry about the fine points of adjustments. GPster

enjenjo

I have to go to D&E friday to pick up one for my Buick, you want me to get one for you too?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have to go to D&E friday to pick up one for my Buick, you want me to get one for you too?
Yes, please. '87 GMC 2WD S15 with a 2.5L four. I don't believe there was anything out of the ordinary as far as any other equipment. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

the rubber sealing sleeve  for the TV cable end  MUST be installed into the  trans case first ... then the  TV  cable end is lubed , pushed into the sleeve.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I have to go to D&E friday to pick up one for my Buick, you want me to get one for you too?
Yes, please. '87 GMC 2WD S15 with a 2.5L four. I don't believe there was anything out of the ordinary as far as any other equipment. GPster

I'll get it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.