33-34 Ford Full-Fendered guys. Measurements & info need

Started by Corn Fed, April 06, 2009, 08:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corn Fed

I'm setting up the chassis on my '33 sedan and would like to get an idea of the actual ride height. Would some of you guys with finished cars, or close to it, take a few measurements for me?

Distance between top of rear axle and bottom of frame rail.

Distance between top of I-beam front axle and bottom of frame rail.

Diameter of tires.

And maybe a side picture of your car.

Also...if you have a SBC, did you have to recess the firewall? What distributor? Electric or mechanical fan? If you have a manual trans, what did you use for pedals?

As an FYI, In the rear I'm using an original rear spring, with P&J rear hangers and ladder bars. On the front a CE I-beam with split bones, reversed eye spring. Thanks for all your help.

Carps

Quote from: "Corn Fed"I'm setting up the chassis on my '33 sedan and would like to get an idea of the actual ride height. Would some of you guys with finished cars, or close to it, take a few measurements for me?

Distance between top of rear axle and bottom of frame rail.
About 3".  I have stock front spring with reversed eyes and 1 leaf removed.  Axle is Superbell 3" drop, currently running 185/70X14 on 6" rims with pleny of reverse offset.  No clearance issues at all.  I'm using stock wishbone with cross steering.

QuoteDistance between top of I-beam front axle and bottom of frame rail.
About 4" although to look at the car you'd think it was much more.  Sits pretty high at rear, coz there's not a lot of room around that part of the chassis.  I'm running parralel rear springs and they wrork great.  However even with this set up there's still not much space around the stock crossmember for exhaust and shock clerarance.

QuoteDiameter of tires.
Fronts are 185/70X14 on reverse offset rims, rears are 275/70/15, on heavilly reverse offset rims (stock width '56 Ford rear end.)

About to fit 15" wide whites all round on 5" rims up front and 7" rims at rear, neutral offset on both.

QuoteAlso...if you have a SBC, did you have to recess the firewall? What distributor? Electric or mechanical fan? If you have a manual trans, what did you use for pedals?
I'm running a Holden V8, which is like a cross between SBC and late Buick.  Fits ahead of untouched fireall and with fan attached to water pump pulley.

Clutch fork is on RHS of bellhousing so it has a simple mechanical link to operate directly off the pedal.  Pedals are fabricated items that duplicate form of originals.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Corn Fed

Thanks Carps.  That's just what I was looking for.

Carps

Probably not the best pic for what you want to know but it'll give you an idea how it sits.

Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.