16Volt battery

Started by 2rods, April 11, 2009, 02:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2rods

Was given 2 almost new 16V batteries and was wondering if I could use 1 in my car that is 12v. It would be undercharged to about 14 .7 volts which is pretty close to 16. Would this work or is it a waste of time? Thanks for any comments about this.

wayne petty

16 volt batteries.????

seen this from powermaster...

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/pwm-1000.pdf

there are some points to ponder on the 3rd page of that pdf file..

seems they take a max of 19 volts to charge them... and at 14 volts they are discharged.. just like a 12 volt battery would be when it drops to 12.2 volts..

got an adjustable power supply???   or one of the proper chargers for them... they might make a great back up power supply for the house..

2rods

Good read Wayne. Amperage is way down also at 14V. May try anyways as it can't hurt anything. Wondering if due to internal resistance of battery the alt will keep charging. It won't know when to cut back with the 16V battery?

wayne petty

there is the option of installing an adjustable voltage regulator on the alternator...   there are a few company's that make higher voltage regulators for some units...  i know that 6v, 8v, 12,  24v, and 36v are available.   along with some that have a screw adjustment ...

what type of charging system are you running..???  got any electronics that don't like higher voltages.. like on board computers, car stereos, amplifiers, cb radios,

years ago... i fixed up a jump start box for a tow truck ... used a 6 and an 8 volt battery...   really spun the motors over...

i just don't know what  hooking up that much voltage to a system designed for 15 volts max would do...  although ..  i have seen cars charge 19 volts without much problem... other than a cooked battery...

got an old mini bike???  a go cart for the kids... a early ford starter with the drive hanging out the end is usually a good starting point for motorized toy...    i have also seen custom windings for that starter with 2 poles... so you can reverse it...

OldSub

Quote from: "wayne petty"got an old mini bike???  a go cart for the kids... a early ford starter with the drive hanging out the end is usually a good starting point for motorized toy...    i have also seen custom windings for that starter with 2 poles... so you can reverse it...
How about a swap meet wagon with a seat and an electric motor?  I saw some similar homemade stuff at a recent swap meet and thought it might be fun to build something to carry me and any parts I collect around...

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

wayne petty

one thing .. if i were to fix up a wagon for swap meets...  i would think up a way to hang it on the trailer hitch...  humm.. maybe a roll up garage door spring to store power..  a significant sprag out to stop it from unwinding.. with a disc brake... but thats another project...