Radiator fan switch - where?

Started by Jokester, March 31, 2009, 11:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokester

After a many year hiatus, I finally got my coupe running tonight.  I now realize that I have no place to put the fan switch.  There are 2 coolant holes in the manifold, one for the heater hose and one for the temp gauge.  I currently have the fan switch in the thermostat housing.  I don't care for it there.  I'd rather put it in the block or manifold.  There are no holes in the heads.  As I see it I have 2 choices; put an ugly tee in where the gauge hooks in, or put a switch low in the block where the petcock drains are.  Are either of these choices feasible?  I've never seen anyone put a switch in a tee or low on the block.  Would it work??  I'm using old (1963) heads, is there enough wall thickness in them to drill and tap a hole like on later heads?   Oh, small block Chevy by the way.

thx,

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

enjenjo

You can drill the rear of the manifold where the water crossover is in front, and tap for a sensor there.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Jokester

Don't think so, it's an Offenhauser cross ram.  If I remember correctly there's a pretty hefty reinforcing rib right over the water port.  I'll double check that tomorrow.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

rumrumm

It was a little pricey, but I solved the problem by using a spacer which fits between the manifold and the thermostat housing. It has two threaded holes for additional sensors and is available from Summit.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

sirstude

Dakota Digital and Speedway both have fan controls that use the temperature gauge sensor to run the fan.  You don't have to use 2 senders then.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Jokester

Sorry, mechanical gauge, no sender.  Keep trying.

.bjb

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Jokester"Sorry, mechanical gauge, no sender.  Keep trying.

.bjb

Speedway has 'em for mechanical gauges too. :D
check it out  8)
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Electronic-Cooling-Fan-Control,2356.html

I have one on my Coupe, works great.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "Jokester"Sorry, mechanical gauge, no sender.  Keep trying.

.bjb

Speedway has 'em for mechanical gauges too. :D
check it out  8)
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Electronic-Cooling-Fan-Control,2356.html

I have one on my Coupe, works great.

Vance

With a mechanical gauge, is says it comes with a sender, which would put him back where he is.

enjenjo

Can you use a water pump, with a bypass connection, and use that hole for the sensor?

phat rat

OK I'll add another alternative. Take the radiator to a shop and have a fitting put in the bottom tank for the sensor. That's where I have mine and it works fine. Although I had mine done the easy way. It was done when the radiator was built
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

34ford

Quote from: "enjenjo"Can you use a water pump, with a bypass connection, and use that hole for the sensor?

Since the subject of location is being discussed I have mine in the hole in the top of the water pump on my sbc. Thought that was a good place to put it then realized it probably was the temp of the water returning to the motor. So I haven't moved it yet as it always runs really cool with the 4 row aluminum radiator.

Is this the location you are callling the bypass connection?

Thought of putting it the side of the head be a good place or would it show it to hot there??

Crosley.In.AZ

I have a sensor type with relay device.

A temp probe sticks into the radiator fins.  I adjusted the temp device so the fan kicks on just above the thermostat temp rating.

when i roll to a stop like a traffic light, the cooling  fan will kick on if i sit long  enough
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)