Space saver spare tire for Ford

Started by Jokester, March 11, 2009, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokester

I'm looking for a space saver spare tire for my street rod.  I'd prefer one that is already inflated and not one of those goofy air-up with a can kind.  I need a Ford 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.  I've got discs on the front if that matters.  Did they ever make such an animal?

thx,

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

wayne petty

that is a good junk yard search....

they did make them... they came in various sizes...

mustangs, tbirds with irs. ranger pickups, aerostar and windstar vans.. some crown victorias and grand marquis...  many were equipped with the temp spare..

most of them get demounted and the rims sold for weight as scrap..

2rods

Try 99 and up Mustangs. I have one here and that is what it's from.

Okiedokie

They also come on imports. I can't recall the metric pattern that is the same, but many of the wheels sites have the chart. Like you I looked and looked for another spare for my 40. The one I have for my 46 has a dual pattern,Ford and Chevy. I don't know what it came from, found it at a swap meet. Anyway, there are lots of them once you know the pattern in metric sizingand the vehicles that use that size. If you can't find a chart let me know and I will see if I printed that out. I probably did and have it filed. Joe

GPster

Might also note that there are some floating around off of front wheel drives and maybe SUVs that have a negative off-set and might give you some clearance problems. GPster

papastoyss

I have been told that Mercury Grand Marquis have an aluminum wheel mini spare. I have one in my 47 Ford coupe & it is 4 1/2 on 5 lug. It was in the car when I bought it so I can't be sure of the source. But it's a good excuse to go junkyarding!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Okiedokie

I believe that the Lincoln's do also. Friend bought one at a swap meet last summer and the guy said that was what it was from. Joe

The Paisano

I had a 71 Mustang with a collaspable tire,full size.It was a Mach1 and the trunk was very limited in roomThe can of gas with it worked real well.If I remeber right I had two flats, and they would pump up with ease.and collaspe when it was time to put it back in the trunk.
Paisano

junkyardjeff

My 89 crown vic has one and you can have it since I picked up another wheel to get a full size spare.

58 Yeoman

I thought that I had gotten a good deal yesterday after work.  I picked up a new looking dual pattern space saver on the side of the road.  It had FM  2000 Chevy van written on it with a white pen.  I have a Mercury rearend in the Pontiac, with Chevy subframe up front, so I need a 4.5 and a 4.75 to be able to carry one spare.  *....it's a 4.75 and 5.0. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil