Drying grease?

Started by GPster, March 27, 2009, 04:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

The "Iron Duke" S10 four cylinder engine for my project is sitting in the frame. It's a complete, run-able engine and I plan to keep it where it is and make everything fit around it. It's greasy and I do not have pressure washing it in my plans right now. Every once in a while I scrape on it a little bit with a putty knife but the grease is sticky enough that it's one scrape and clean the putty knife deal. Has anybody tried a heat lamp or something to slop like this stuff? I'm not looking to make this pretty or ready for paint but it just bugs me the way it is. GPster

enjenjo

put some kerosene on the knife, the grease will come right off.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

how about some oven cleaner and rinse with the garden hose?

GPster

The Jeepster/S10 is in the garage and my concentration, stamina usually has me working on it only about an hour at a time. With my memory the way it is the more I take off of it (TBI) the more I'll forget how to put back together. With 15 years of working on this I feel a sense of accomplishment in small steps. What I had in mind was putting a heat lamp on a small section and coming back in a couple of hours and scraping with a putty knife or screwdriver and using a shop vac to get the dried pieces that hadn't fallen to the floor. When I mull over these ideas I seem to always miss some hazard and I'm checking to see if someone has done something like this and had it turn into a wall of flames. GPster

C9

Spray some Gunk on the engine.

Give it about 10-20 minutes, scrape what you can, re-apply Gunk wait the recommended time and hose it off.

Repeat as necessary - let it dry between steps.

You can buy Gunk at several places, keep an eye out for the sale ads and you can get it fairly cheap.

2-3 tall cans should do what you want.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you have an air compressor, you can buy cleaning wands and spray nozzles that look like an air gun.

They have a fitting that takes a 5/16" or so hose.

Install 10'-15' of hose, tape a weight to it so it stays down in the bucket.

Get a five gallon bucket with hot water from the tub faucet if you can, use whatever detergent you like - I've had good luck with Simple Green and hose down the engine after scraping.

Not as good as a pressure washer, but not too shabby.

You can find the spray nozzles at parts houses etc.

Spray wands - and the nozzles - can be found at Harbor Freight.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

wayne petty

jays and the others sound like a good idea.. and they do work...

i do have one thing to chip in...

i have found that the "value craft brand" brake cleaner from AZ really melts the grease... almost evaporates it...   try not to spray it on crank seal.. tends to make them hard...  sure takes grease off...

be sure not to use it anywhere near a water heater or stove  pilot lights... it is flammable.  i use it like starting fluid also..

hope this helps... hope you have a az close..  i have not tried the other brands of brake cleaner in a long time... last one i did .. make me sick for 3 days..

paul2748

How about renting a power washer?