1965 Imapala - front drum brakes to disc brakes

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, April 16, 2009, 09:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Are OEM parts adaptable or just after market kits to be used for the conversion to front disc brakes on a 1965 Impala ?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

69 discs are a bolt on. But a bit hard to find.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

Tony,  Nice of you to ask a question that I can answer.  

Use the brakes from a full sized Chevrolet 1969-1970.  Take the spindle and all and they just bolt on.  The earlier, late 67 and 68 are the 4 piston caliper and not worth the dollars to make them usable again.  I got the master cylinder, brake lines down to the metering valve, metering valve, and the short brake line from the metering valve to the left front hose. The rear brake line has the small line nut on it and the metering valve needs the larger nut like the master cylinder.  I just stopped at the parts house and got a brass fitting that changes the small nut to the larger nut.  You will have to run 15" wheels with this setup.  It works MUCH better than the aftermarket setups that use mid sized brake parts.  I have been told that the rotors are tough to get, but mine were fine so I did not have that issue.  I guess that 68-82 Corvette rotors can be used if you fit them to the hub from the drum brakes.

Hope this helps
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

How a bout a 1963 Chev Impala for front disc?

A co-worker is looking a 1963 chev for a low rider ride. I told him the 63 needed disc just like his friends 65 Impala
Tony

enjenjo

A 63 uses a different spindle. I believe you can use the 69=70 rotor, and caliper bracket on a 63 spindle, with some machining of the top brake mounting boss.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

On the '63 you can replace it with  the complete Vette spindle, rotor and caliper '65 through '82 I believe. You will need to use your steering arms drilled to the Vette bolt size. I used a 3rd series Monte Carlo power booster,M/C and distribution block in my '61 but moved it out board to clear my big block.

Charlie

Quote from: "Crosley"How a bout a 1963 Chev Impala for front disc?

A co-worker is looking a 1963 chev for a low rider ride. I told him the 63 needed disc just like his friends 65 Impala
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

I chatted with the one young fellow about this.  he wants me to do the  brake bolt on.  

He is not understanding the master cylinder and related parts must match the disc front brakes. Also will need some brake lines changed, the new 'old parts'  rebuilt.
Tony

ArizonaBear

Quote from: "enjenjo"69 discs are a bolt on. But a bit hard to find.

Believe it or not: since the 1969-70 big car disc spindle is the same as the 1969-82 Corvette; that opens up many options i.e. Vette rotors using OEM 1969-70 Impala calipers/supports, etc.

Be careful with the steering arms though; you may need to use the 1969-70 big car disc brake pieces although supposedly the 1965-68 drum arms will fit.