latest project

Started by enjenjo, March 02, 2009, 07:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

The last couple weeks I have been working on a 37 Chevy coupe. It was a drag car in the past, came here with no front suspension at all. I had to do some frame repairs, not rust, but cobbled up modifications. Then I installed a Mustang crossmember, the last one I had left from Larry T, who some of you will remember. I still have to install mounts for a 350/350. The guy who owns it is planning on turning it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58Apache

What else does it need Frank?  Body work? Paint? Interior?  What will you farm out on a car?

Pics?

Steve

enjenjo

Well, I had some pics, but I accidently deleted them :roll:  I'll take some more tomorrow.

The body is pretty sound, needs some work in the back wheel wells. All I am doing is turning it into a rolling, steering chassis. The owner owns a body shop, takes care of the body work himself. He uses these for fill in to keep his guys busy. He usually gets them running, in primer, then sells them.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"Well, I had some pics, but I accidently deleted them :roll:  I'll take some more tomorrow.

The body is pretty sound, needs some work in the back wheel wells. All I am doing is turning it into a rolling, steering chassis. The owner owns a body shop, takes care of the body work himself. He uses these for fill in to keep his guys busy. He usually gets them running, in primer, then sells them.

I'll vouch for ya Frank; I saw it last Wednesday and of course the work was top notch!!  :D

Crosley.In.AZ

i was gonna say the photos are a bit fuzzy
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Here are the pictures. I'm done with it for now, his people will take it further.

ONE37TUDOR

What suspension parts are you using on the front end. It looks like stock type control arms with a custom locating rod? I have two of the Larry T kits myself, have them both tacked into stalled projects (37 ford and a 46 Chevy PU.

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

enjenjo

Quote from: "ONE37TUDOR"What suspension parts are you using on the front end. It looks like stock type control arms with a custom locating rod? I have two of the Larry T kits myself, have them both tacked into stalled projects (37 ford and a 46 Chevy PU.

Scott...

Stock control arms, modified strut rods I posted about last week. The spindles are S10, they need further modification to be right.

zzford

Frank, Pray, tell what is involved using the S10 spindles on the Mustang II front end.

enjenjo

I hesitated to mention them. to fit an S10 spindle, you have to ream the top ball joint hole, and the tie rod end hole. Then you have to shorten the steering arm 1.5" to make it steer right. He has some one else who is shortening the steering arms, so at this point it does not turn far enough to suit me, and the Ackerman isn't right.

It just left on a roll back.

Rochie

Can I hear an amen for ACKERMAN PRINCIPLE.  Who was it that forgot about it???? Frank thanks for bringing it up!!!

phat46

Frank what is the advantage to using the S-10 spindle? Brakes? lower?

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat46"Frank what is the advantage to using the S-10 spindle? Brakes? lower?

Well, the biggest advantage is this was a low buck build, and we had the S10 parts. The other advantage is they are already 5 lug with bigger brakes. As far as height, they are virtually the same as the mustang spindle.

FWIW a Mustang uses bigger ball joints than most GM cars, including the full size ones.

zzford

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "phat46"Frank what is the advantage to using the S-10 spindle? Brakes? lower?

Well, the biggest advantage is this was a low buck build, and we had the S10 parts. The other advantage is they are already 5 lug with bigger brakes. As far as height, they are virtually the same as the mustang spindle.

FWIW a Mustang uses bigger ball joints than most GM cars, including the full size ones.
That's good to know. Thanks for the info.