wiring

Started by threefive, March 09, 2009, 01:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threefive

i don't post here very often but now find i need some help. i am in the process of wiring my 59 chev pickup and need some info on wiring the dual headlights, which lights are low beam and how they work for the hi beam. my wiring kit is for single headlights and the original stuff is long gone. a quick sketch or lead to site would be greatly appreciated. thanks gord.

wayne petty

here is a diagram for 67 chevy vans..

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d8016d6e2.gif

should be really close to what you need.

remember... on dual head lamp bulbs...  there is a low beam connector... a high beam connector... and a ground...  

someone will remember...  if the ground is the left vertical or right vertical connector... as the low beam is the bottom.,..   | _ |  

if you are hooking up 4 head lights... it is only slightly different.. as you have to add a second ground wire for the high beam only headlight.. and another single wire for the high beam bulb...

on most cars in the late 50's and through the 70's...   high beams are light green ... low beams wiring is tan... grounds are black...

hope this helps./..

if you are installing the dimmer switch on the floorboard... you might want to think about placing a thin piece of plastic under it... so there is a lot less chance of the wiring harness coming loose and touching ground...

The Paisano

Wayne's right about the wiring set up. Ford had a reacall a while back when they started putting the dimmmer in the t/s handles.Seems every one from the South was getting there feet stuck on the steering wheel when they were trying to switch to high beams.
Paisano

enjenjo

Quote from: "The Paisano"Wayne's right about the wiring set up. Ford had a reacall a while back when they started putting the dimmmer in the t/s handles.Seems every one from the South was getting there feet stuck on the steering wheel when they were trying to switch to high beams.

:D  :D  :D

On the factory setup, the outer lights were both high and low beam, the inner lights were high beam only.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

Quote from: "The Paisano"Wayne's right about the wiring set up. Ford had a reacall a while back when they started putting the dimmmer in the t/s handles.Seems every one from the South was getting there feet stuck on the steering wheel when they were trying to switch to high beams.

i have gotten that ... off my 69 econoline van... with the metal horn button...

since the horn switch grounds the horn relay...    if your body is grounded to the car somewhere ... like the brake pedal...  and you touch the turn signal stalk to honk the horn... you can get zapped by well over 200 volts from the feedback voltage from the relay...

this is also the reason in computer controlled relays... they have diode protection ...   not for the relay.. but for the computer ... the control circuits do not like that kind of voltage coming back at them...   they tend to organize a mass strike and quit...   the diode dampens the high voltage spikes that can flow backwards up the wire when coils are deenergized..

my thought about a piece of plastic under the floor mounted dimmer switch is do to the gm type switches having their connectors right at the floor... and over the years finding that the connector came loose and the terminals came into contact with the floor... resulting in a the head light circuit breaker cycling and driving the owner up the walls...

my ideas of building a reliable car are what drives me...  preventing the escape of smoke from the wires is my whole idea...

wayne

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"

:D  :D  :D

On the factory setup, the outer lights were both high and low beam, the inner lights were high beam only.

What if you used both feet   :?   :?:

Bob......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

threefive

thanks gentlemen for your input. a friend  had a diagram of a 58 chev passenger car that gave me the layout, but i was not sure which bulbs did what and was surprised  that all four lights were hi beam and the two outside ones were low beam. gord.

papastoyss

Is that why my knees hurt so much?
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!