Another VW question

Started by msuguydon, July 25, 2009, 11:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

A young woman that I work with has a VW beetle, 2001, GLS Turbo.

For the last several weeks she has been having an issue with the transmission??? She drives it, everything is fine.  Stops and parks and when she gets back in, the car starts etc.. but she cannot shift out of park.  She will try and try, shut it off/restart... and maybe on the 100th time or the 14 time it will allow her to shift out of park into drive.

Sometimes it will sit for several days until she can get it out of park.  

Any ideas, thoughts on the issue?  Sensor, linkage, cable?  

She did say she got an EPC ?? message on the dash
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

GPster

Just a quick thought of things that might be connected. Does she have her seatbelt on, does she have her foot on the brake pedal? Those might be two things that are inter-locked to the park-lock function. I don't know has any VW books or maybe I'm keeping him too busy with my L O N G   Q U E S T I O N S  GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Shifter interlock.

Out of adjustment,

Solenoid is weak = bad

brake light switch problems,
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

That foot on the brake thing sounds like a possible villain.  Here's a related one.  I had a car where the insulation rubbed off the brake interlock switch and shorted to a metal part under the dash.  The trans would shift out of park if the wire wasn't touching metal, it would stay stuck in park if it was.  Obviously that was an easy fix, good luck.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

msuguydon

Quote from: "jaybee"That foot on the brake thing sounds like a possible villain.  Here's a related one.  I had a car where the insulation rubbed off the brake interlock switch and shorted to a metal part under the dash.  The trans would shift out of park if the wire wasn't touching metal, it would stay stuck in park if it was.  Obviously that was an easy fix, good luck.
Did a little more research, sounds like the brake switch is a problem with late model VW's.. according to what I found, it was recalled.. hopefully thats it
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

wayne petty

here is the diagram for the brake light switch...

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/1b/f9/58/large/0900c152801bf958.gif

the switch is "F"    the tail lights are the 3 "M's"

i don't know where the "W4" circuit goes to yet.. there are dozens of wiring diagrams over at AZ for this car..

i have found both 2 connector and 4 connector brake light switches for that bug...

but when ordering parts.. its important to have the 3 letter engine code...