stock '40 Ford gauges/ 12 V system

Started by Topsterguy, February 08, 2009, 01:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

hey Folks!  my project 40 Ford pickup is being built as a "barn find shop truck" with patina etc etc, so I'd like to use the stock gauges if poss to keep the "theme" and look. Anyone done this? Any problems with the readings ( 50lbs oil, bat , fuel, temp)?  What exactly is required to make the panel work with a 12 volt system?  It's running a SBC.  Thoughts??  Thanks again!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

38HAULR

These would have run straight off off the original 6v System.   Latter gauges running in 12v vehicles use gauges at 5v this being achieved by a mechanical voltage regulator. sitting behind the cluster.  I would fit  some 3 leg solid state regulators,[a pair of 1amp units in parallel ] Get the closest to 6v that you can find. You will also need to match your engine/fuel senders to the dash gauges for correct calibration also.......Frank

enjenjo

You can also fit  later Ford gauges with the original faces in the cluster to get an oil pressure reading you can live with. the way they mount is similar from year to year so it's not that difficult. You can also use later Ford instument voltage regulators on the early gauges.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Topsterguy

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I've also heard there's a company  called www.williamsons.com in Arizona that redoes them and will update the readings etc as well.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Thanks guys, much appreciated. I've also heard there's a company  called www.williamsons.com in Arizona that redoes them and will update the readings etc as well.

Classic instuments, and United Speedometer will do them too. Be sitting down when you get a quote. Usually $700 and up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

threefive

if you are going the 3 leg resistor way try quaele electronics on gov't  st next door to acklands.

Topsterguy

Heh Heh Heh enjenjo, I called them and they said........$3000 to restore a 40 gauge panel!  I said that was more than I paid for the truck to start and he said, "well, it's labor intensive."

Thanks, I'll try Quaele if I go that route!

Carnut

Yeah, but just think, with that restored gauge panel you would double the value of your truck.

Mac

Quote from: "Topsterguy"and they said........$3000 to restore a 40 gauge panel!  

No thank you but I'll certainly keep you in mind when my Auburn restoration gets to that point.  :D

I just finished upgradeing my '63 C-10 cluster with volt and oil gauges from a '73 CJ5 I bought on eBay. Just under $40 with a new NAPA sender.
Who\'s yer Data?

Rochie

Topsterguy,
I just finished the 34 Plymouth dash for my 29.  I changed the Amp guage to volts using a cheepy guage, used a universal fuel sender reversed the resistor so the guage will see the Ohms it needs and cut down the voltage to the fuel guage with a 3 leg chip, works great. I had to have an automotive graphics place do a face for it.  The beautiful original was rust stained from a gasket leak.

Topsterguy

Rockie, that looks really cool!  Sooo different!

Topsterguy

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Thanks guys, much appreciated. I've also heard there's a company  called www.williamsons.com in Arizona that redoes them and will update the readings etc as well.

Just got a quote back from Williamsons and it's "about $900 (us)" to restore MY gauges. So I supply the panel, then there's undoubtedly all the senders etc, so a fair bunle! Y'know, I'd give up this hot rod thing for bowling, but the lanes are all gone now !!!

The Paisano

Get a constant voltage regulator that will knock your 12v system to a lower voltage of 4.8 to 6.0 volts.You should be able to find a voltage reduction regulator at Radio Shack. Some minor mods might have to be done to this.Just make sure you put this towards the gauges.
.Ford had used constant voltage regulators from just about the start of 12v ssystems,wheather they were analag,then went electronically controlled when they went to electronic control clusters.
Paisano
Paisano