Metric PS pump to flare PS box adapt?

Started by Mac, January 30, 2009, 11:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

I picked up a power steering box to upgrade my '63 Chevy pickup. It's the early flare hose connection style from mid 70's. I happen to have a GM PS pump that's metric O-ring style with good useable hoses.
I have heard that adapters are availabe for this but my local parts guys just get that glazed look and on-line searches yield only adapters to AN type, as far as I can tell.
Can someone point me to a source?
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

There are adapters to go the other way, but none that I know of to go the way you want. You can change the fitting on the pump so you can use an inverted flare on both ends.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mac

I just this AM found "mention" of the adapters on Borgeson's site:
http://www.borgeson.com/POWER%20STEERING/HOSES.html
It does seem -by how they say all hoses are inverted flare- that the adapters are the wrong way from what I need, so it looks like I'll be shopping for hose as well.
I have a hydraulic shop nearby so Monday I'll see if they can make up a hose with flare 1 end and o-ring the other. I don't think the low psi return hose will be a problem. I think I can find a "long leg" flare style elbow fitting and make the change where it joins with a clamp.
Who\'s yer Data?

wayne petty

change this fitting...    the hose sizes are different on the late models..

but the thread sizes in the pumps remain the same...

there are millions of them in junk yards...

one inch wrench size...

this is what enjenjo was talking about;

wayne petty

for those who want to know more about power steerings pump and box secrets...

you might enjoy this 4x4 steering article...

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/131_0809_chevy_1_ton_steering_hydroboost_rebuild/photo_04.html

but some will say thats for 4x4's..   the units are the same for passenger cars and hot rods....     too much knowledge will never make you fat...

be sure to click through all the pictures and read the info below them...

this is also an intresting thread on the same subject.....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708701

there are 3 pages... and more info on the second and third page..

wayne petty

my thoughts on this power steering also include the thought of the variable ratio internals might be a really great thing for hot rods...

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/131_0809_chevy_1_ton_steering_hydroboost_rebuild/photo_19.html

seems that lee manufacturing that was mentioned in the article is out in sun valley ca... just down the street from aped electronics surplus... a place every rodder in so cal should walk through once..

oh... and do comment if you think i should keep posting this kind of info..

enjenjo

Keep it up Wayne, I learn from each one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mac

Oh Yeah! Wayne

This is the straight up dope right here. OEM swappin and boneyard crawlin.
I just wish it averaged a bit more than 25* in the last ...uuh month?

Too much knowledge doesn't make you fat; sometimes fat headed.
Teach a man to fish...

Thanks!
    Mac
Who\'s yer Data?

wayne petty

mac... for something like that i bet that every pump rebuilder has enough of those that they throw them away...

most people who have room to store stuff too good to throw way will also have piles of pumps... i think i have at least 2 out in the volkswagen bus..

its shirt sleeve weather here..  in fact on friday.. i had to set up my handy beach umbrella to stop from getting overheated...  if you want one with 3/8 inverted flair female thread.. i bet that you will have one awaiting soon in your pm box... soon....

Mac

It's unkind to torture with these beach umbrela tales. :cry:

Anyway this PS conversion is an upcoming project. Right now I'm dealing with front spring replacement. What was in there when I bought the truck looks to have been "torch treatment" lowered. Cool stance but lousey ride; spent most if the time bangin off the bump stops.

As for pump rebuilders, the nearest would be probably a 90 min. ride. I'm guessing you have like 3 to choose from within walking distance, right?
But then where I live we don't have traffic jams day and night. It's all a tradeoff.
Who\'s yer Data?

wayne petty

As for pump rebuilders, the nearest would be probably a 90 min. ride. I'm guessing you have like 3 to choose from within walking distance, right?

nope ..... nobody walks in la....  there are even escalators up  to the work out centers..

i will make the short trip...   about 2 miles and pick up a selection of various pump fittings.. take pictures of the different ones... . and see about snail mailing one... i have to do something to stay out of the sun....

Mac

Who\'s yer Data?