C-6 trans question

Started by junkyardjeff, February 22, 2009, 03:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I have a rebuilt 67 C-6 trans in my 65 country squire that still leaks when sitting for more then a month,if driven frequently it wont leak.  I have heard the torque converters will drain the fluid back into the trans causing the fluid to come out the vent,if that is true I am thinking on putting a hose on the vent and bringing it up on the firewall to get it above the trans and see if that fixes the problem.  Jeff

wayne petty

it might help.... running a tube up to the top of the dipstick tube and back down a ways...   or into an overflow catch bottle...

on 700R4's ... there are input shaft seals... to stop this leak down..
or are they called turbine shaft seals.. i forget some times...

were the input shaft bushings replaced????  in the front pump stator shaft.. this is where some of the leak down will be prevented... too late now to do anything about it... and without a set of bushing drivers they are a pain to properly install...

are you running Type F fluid... which has a thicker base stock to it????

junkyardjeff

I have no idea if the input shaft bushings have been replaced and I am using type F fluid.

Jokester

I don't mean to steal your thread, but I've got a friend having the same problem with a 57 Chevy cast iron powerglide.  This is a perfect restoration type car.  Sometimes it's fine for several trips and then suddenly it will leave a three foot puddle of fluid on the floor.  I'd like to know if any of those fixes above worked.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

ONE37TUDOR

Junkyardjeff, there are several things you can try that work sometimes. New seals in the transmission will usually stop it for a while but once it gets hot a few times and then sets and the seals dry out it will likely start doing it again. Another thing that helped with mine was to put a bottle of that transmission supplement in it. I think what I used was made by slick 50 and had the consistency of STP. Made the thing shift funny until it got warm and circulated through everything.
But the thing that finally cured the problem of it leaking all over everything was to steal one of the wifes cookie pans! It is about 28" long and about 18" wide and has about 1" tall sides. I haven't had to clean up a spill since I started using it and it is big enough that you don't have to have it in just the right place, close is good enough, you can easily reach it from the side of the car and it is low enough that you can drive in and out and leave it where it is.
Problem solved. I even liked it enough to go buy myself a brand new pan that really looks nice under the car. All silvery with that nice red fluid in it.

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT