DSL question....

Started by Sean, June 24, 2004, 05:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

I got stuff in the mail today from my ISP for changing over to DSL. Some kind of box looking thing with lights on it, and three or four cables, but no instructions. They told my wife we needed an ethernet card, but she didn't think to ask them what it was.

So my question is, what is an ethernet card and why don't they just send it with the rest of the stuff?

Dave

Quote from: "Sean"I got stuff in the mail today from my ISP for changing over to DSL. Some kind of box looking thing with lights on it, and three or four cables, but no instructions. They told my wife we needed an ethernet card, but she didn't think to ask them what it was.

So my question is, what is an ethernet card and why don't they just send it with the rest of the stuff?

They gave you a dsl modem and if you dont have a network card in your puker you will need one to hook to the modem. (ethernet card)
One thing id suggest here. If you can afford it when you go to get the network card get a 4 port router and hook the card to that then the modem to the port. If you go this way wou wont need a firewall program and you wont get hijacked and your puker will run faster without a firewall. The routers go for about 40 or 50 bucks.Any more questions just ask il be back on this thing monday..

dave

Sean

Quote from: "N8DC"They gave you a dsl modem and if you dont have a network card in your puker you will need one to hook to the modem. (ethernet card)
dave

So its something that goes in the computer like a Modem or Game Card?

I have heard about people getting their computers hijacked because of the DSL being on all the time. Why can't you just turn the modem off when you're not using it? For that matter, I generally turn the computer completely off if I'm not using it.

rooster

Quote from: "Sean"I got stuff in the mail today from my ISP for changing over to DSL. Some kind of box looking thing with lights on it, and three or four cables, but no instructions. They told my wife we needed an ethernet card, but she didn't think to ask them what it was.

most computer now dayscome with the card or is built into mother board, to find out look at the rear of case for a modular jack that is larger the the telephone type (mine has a small light next to it)

instructions for SBC DSL are on the cd rom , should have gotten a hanful of filters with it to.

I agree with the use of the router, the enet card are under 10 bucks around here, if you want one ill mail mine

av8

*! I love the information age! Just bought a wireless router and USB wireless network adapter today so youngest daughter can piggyback onto my DSL and handle her on-line homework assignments from her bedroom rather than schedule time on my machine. Eighty dollars total and no impact on my DSL bill. Why did I resist doing this . . .?! :oops:

Sean

Quote from: "rooster"

instructions for SBC DSL are on the cd rom , should have gotten a hanful of filters with it to.

This is through "Socket" and there is no disc in the box. My wife called them and they told her once we went and got a card to call back and they would walk us through the installation.

rooster

email address Ill send ethnetcard. Never heard of Socket! After you get DSL you will be spoiled!

av8

Sonofagun! Daughter installed the router, ran into a glitch, sorted it out with our ISP and UNIDEN, and now not only are both systems up and running, they're properly networked and running at speeds greater than my computer all by its lonesome! I love my kids!

Sean

Quote from: "rooster"email address Ill send ethnetcard. Never heard of Socket! After you get DSL you will be spoiled!

Wife went to some kind of Candle party or something earlier tonight. She was supposed to go by Wally World on the way and get an ethernet card. Thanks for the offer though.

Socket is based in Columbia, but supposedly covers most of Missouri.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "av8"Eighty dollars total and no impact on my DSL bill. Why did I resist doing this . . .?! :oops:

you are stuck in your old ways?  :lol:

I suffer from the same affliction.  so I am told
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)