interior upgrades

Started by reborn55, January 05, 2009, 01:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Since the ragtop is not selling, I fugured I would waste some more money on it now that the brakes seem to be OK.  Might help to sell in the spring. I have mocked up some Mark Vll 8 way power seats with a LHS console  which will shortened to fit the way I want.  Got an appointment in February for new upholstry, carpet and top.  Just got to figure out where to put the seat controls--were mounted in the door on the Lincoln--double switch--thinking of mounting on the door panel as convertible door has lots of open space.  Any opinions or ideas.  Have a good one

enjenjo

I would consider mounting the controls on the console, saves having to run all those wires into the door.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

I would love to, but I think the switches are too big to mount on teh side of the console.  Really don't want to run through the dor, but may have too.

HYPORX

2nd vote for the console.  :D

Outta sight.  8)

phat rat

I realize the Lincoln controls are larger than my GM 6 way but I made a bracket that goes under the seat. Maybe not quite as handy, but once you have them adjusted to you how many times do you move them?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

i did not get a chance to see your dash board... is there any room for a swing down panel. with the seat switches on it..  think of a  flip down license plate bracket...

there are springs used on some drum brake setups  probably 3/4 ton ford/dodge brakes.. that fit over a pin driven into the web of the shoe that worked really well for the cash box lid in the gas station i worked at..  so some sheet metal could be fabbed up and a pin made for a hinge and these springs installed... to keep it up  and out of the way...

HotRodLadyCrusr

I also vote for hiding them, how about INSIDE the console or maybe on the side of the seat where the only time you see them is if the door is open.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

enjenjo

You know you can change the switches to ones that fit where you have room.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

Wayne--have no glove box to put the controls in.

I am going to try to mount on the side or top of console---anyone ever switched the controls from one side to the other.  Left to right, so they would work according to direction on controls.

crdnblu

Remember.....Don't forget your passengers.  They will ALWAYS look for seat controls on the seat, then think that the person that built the car was an idiot, if they can't find the controls!  (No offense to you, here.)
The controls in your attached pic look like they could go on the seats, between the seat base & the doors, as another person suggested.  Or change out the controls, as suggested, but again, mount them on the seats.

wayne petty

Quote from: "reborn55"Wayne--have no glove box to put the controls in.

I am going to try to mount on the side or top of console---anyone ever switched the controls from one side to the other.  Left to right, so they would work according to direction on controls.

i did not say it right...   on a fold down spring loaded panel under the dashboard.....  not in the glove box... under the dash... to be folded down like a fuse box on some cars but easier... maybe a magnet to hold it in the up position instead of a spring... so it will stay down while you adjust the seats for proper comfort...

just trying to describe my brain farts...

wayne

Carnut

heh,heh, or the fold down under dash hand gun rack in Bogies/Philip Marlowes 37 Plymouth in 'The Big Sleep'.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Unless the front seat passenger is moving the seat up to let a backseat passenger in there would be no reason to be looking for or using seat controls so hide them.  If, on the other hand your wife or buddy are going with you on a long trip, that person is going to set the adjustment on the seat at the begining of the trip then probably never touch it again for the duration.

The control are butt ugly, they are the exact same ones I have on the doors of my Grand Marque.....butt ugly and stick out like a sore thumb.  They really need to be hidden out of sight  IMHO of course. :wink:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.