OEM Fuse boxes

Started by 29abone, January 04, 2009, 04:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29abone

:D I am planning to rewire my '56 F-100 and add a fuse box.  I have one from an '80's Ford truck, but I am having trouble removing the terminals.  Does anyone know how to remove the terminals without damaging the block??  If not, what make/model might have easily removed terminals?  I do not want to splice to the existing wires.

I finished installing my power disc brake kit from CPP in August and it works fine.  I had to modify or replace every brake line except those on the rear axle.

Future projects:
  Replace gas gauge and sending unit with new reproduction.
  Replace bucket seats with reupholstered original seat.
  Install 4bbl Carter and manifold.
  Install 9" rear 3.00/3.25 for better economy, has 3.73 Dana.

Larry
:roll:
Larry

The joy is in the journey.

wayne petty

got any close up pictures of the fuse box???? or of one of the terminals that you have gotten out...

i would think... that removing a fuse box with as much of the factory harness left attached to it would be the best idea in some cases... and making sure that you note exactly which make and model car or truck you got it out of... that way.. you can use a factory wiring harness diagram to wire it.. and the wire sizes will be close to what you want...

i may be totally wrong as i have only put in totally new systems in a few cars... usually my stuff is putting it back on repair jobs so it all works....

the delphi wiring connectors catalog did have module type fuse boxes.. but ... you have to by the bodys and the connectors separate... they are available through mousser?? electronics in most cases..

this also means... that you can pull later model gm fuse boxes out and be able to get replacement terminals to install new wires in them...

some factory replacement terminals are available through dorman...

here is the direct link to that page... there may be more terminals elseware...  be sure to note that there are next page links at the bottom of the page.. so there is a lot of stuff to see..

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bin/vm91corp30r/cat_result.w?sid=jdaDLadjwcikdtkG008814253099439970&clt=hwrap1&vsrch_str=&vsrch_brand=all&vsrch_cat=Electrical%20-%20Terminals%20-%20Technician&category_no=476&category_list=1424:476&from_page=search&st_amount=&end_amount=

enjenjo

If they are replaceable, there is generally a slot or notch visible from the fuse side. In some cases two notchs. You insert a wire or thin blade in the notch, and it will release the terminal.

In some cases you can animal one out to see how it's held in place. My local NAPA store stock the terminals. If not, there is a company on the north side of Detroit that has terminals for everything.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

butch27

Frank: Where is the place North of Detroit? Thanks Butch

enjenjo

Quote from: "butch27"Frank: Where is the place North of Detroit? Thanks Butch

http://terminalsupplyco.com/contact/contact_locations.aspx
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.