Very Small English Wheel

Started by Anonymous, June 20, 2004, 11:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I am not an automotive hobbiest.  I am a jeweler.
While watching the discovery channel, I became intrigued by the English Wheel and it's ability to make compound curves. Making a flat piece of metal into a fender of gas tank is outstanding.  I thought planishing conchos was advanced.  I'm heading back to school.

I work on a much smaller scale, and am thinking of making a tiny english wheel based on an 8-inch C-clamp.

As near as I can tell, neither the anvil wheel nor the shaping wheel can pivot, indeed, it seems they should be as "rigid" as possible. Is this correct?

Does the shape of the shaping wheel determines the radius of the curve?

The wheeling process appears to work-harden the metal rather quickly.  Annealing softens non-ferris metals.  It this reccomended?  It there any advantage to working the metal warm?

river1

can't help with some of your questions but if you click on tech at the top of this page it will take to a page where it shows how to make a small e wheel.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

The rigidity of the wheel is not important, the repeatability is. The frame of the wheel can flex, as long as it always flexs the same.

The wheel and anvil can't pivot while in use, but can pivot 90 degrees when desired to wheel the other direction, it can be useful at times. Otherwise, the mounting of the wheel should be rigid.

The pressure used is not as high as it seems, the actual contact area is only about .090 wide, so a little pressure goes a long way.

Depending on the amount of curve desired, annealing is used. Basically, when the metal stops moving easily, I anneal it. Sometimes only part of it.

To an extent, the curve of the anvil determines the radius of the curve. On small parts this would not be as important, because the radius won't vary as much. to much radius on the anvil tends to leave"tracks" in the finished product, which can be sanded out if needed.

The instructions in the tech area use mostly scrap material, with about $20 in new parts. It could be scaled down to a smaller size. I know some people have scaled it up with good success.

I have seen an entire minature car body, fenders and all made on one of these wheels, some of the radius were less than 1/2"
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

Check out the links in my signiture for more about English Wheels.

SKR8PN

Hardlec.........
Not to be a smartass or anything,but why can't you just use the rollers they make for goldsmithing? My wife has been a goldsmith for over 20 years,and she has never seen a need for a miniature wheel.
What is it you are tring to do? Maybe she can help.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

berkelusa

I just started playin with WIRE-FORMING.. and HAMMER FORMING

the english wheel is next !

Before with NOTHING..

During..., OEM rear horns on the new frame section...

AFTER: Corners welded and ground...

DONE: A few 'lows' but not bad for first attempt from nothing...
The 31\' Chevy Sedan is NOW a HOTROD TUB !
http://www.ammoman.com/chevy
Cick this for my 260+ PAGE BUILD DIARY of \"EVELYN\"
:shock: ALL parts used were either FREE of made FROM SCRATCH!  :shock: