Early/Late 283 Dilemma

Started by Bib_Overalls, January 03, 2009, 10:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

You my recall that back in early October, while searching for a good S10 T-5, I fell in an old salvage yard and broke my right femur. Put my car building on hold.

Well, I am healed to the point where I can get around without a cane. But I have a long way to go. Even so, I am starting to mess around again in the shop.

And I have a bit of a dilemma.

I want to run a T-5 with a 283 in my Model A coupe project.

I have two 283 blocks. A 57 with no side mounts. And a 58+ with the side mounts.

Both need to be rebuilt.

I really like the look of the old Hurst style front motor mounts, the ones that bolt to the front of the block. But I have been told many times that these should not be used with a tail shaft transmission mount unless side mounts at the bell housing are used as well.

Do you all subscribe to this or do you think I can use the early front mount 283 with the tail shaft mount only?

Would a Lakewood bell housing change the equation?

I could fabricate side mounts. But they will complicate exhaust routing and will not look right.

If I have to use bell housing mounts I will most likely use the later 283 instead. But I want expert opinions before I make a decision.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

chimp koose

front mounts require a mid mount or you will forever be tightening bellhousing bolts.I have never seen it done (front & rear only)without complications.If you put in a mid mount ,make sure you use a rubber mounted rear trans mount if you use one at all.I have seen chassis twist in drag cars split the tailshaft housing on cars with a solid front ,mid and rear mount.

Carnut

Humm, well no expert here, but I put this in my 40 Ford back in 89, front mount and rear mount and have 17, 485 mi on it now. No trouble yet.

GPster

Quote from: "Carnut"Humm, well no expert here, but I put this in my 40 Ford back in 89, front mount and rear mount and have 17, 485 mi on it now. No trouble yet.
Boy! Youve got pictures of everything. How do you keep them straight? GPster

enjenjo

As long as you have a cast iron, or steel bell housing, it should not be a problem, as long as the front mount is wide enough to prevent engine rock.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Deuce

I like to use a side mount on SBC's  :D

I understand the the front motor mount is more traditional ... but it also gets in the way of a mechanical fuel pump most of the time. It also makes changing camshafts, timing chain covers and such more difficult.

I would go the extra mile and mount the SBC and the T-5 like General Motors would have ... if both were available at the same time. Side mounts on the SBC and a factory style mount under the T-5.

Another POSSIBLE factor for use of the 58 block is the starter mount. Some early blocks do not have the holes drilled in the block to mount a starter on it ... because the bell housing was used by the factory. My 58 block did have the starter bolt holes ... to use a block mount starter.
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

UGLY OLDS

This kind of scares me..I service a fleet of Chevy trucks that have engine side & trans rear mounts & most have broken a bellhousing right behind the trans mounting flange at one time or another. That is in "normal" service...We install a special convertor dust cover & support bar system to resolve the problem...Look close at the photo...The lower 50% of the bellhousing has no support whatever from the rear block surface...Nothing to keep it from "bending in the middle" so to speak.......I would run side engine mounts & rear trans mount.....Just my .02........

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Jbird

Could you "hide" a midplate in the firewall then drop some support bars from it to the upper belhousing bolts? I also like the looks of the front mounted SBCs but they are sometimes a PITA.    Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Carnut

Quote from: "GPster"Boy! Youve got pictures of everything. How do you keep them straight? GPster

I've still got a pre alzheimer's memory.

On the motor mount location thing, I've always thought the side mounts were not all that far back from the front mounts to make all that much difference in design leverage.

I will agree that the front mount does require an alternate fuel pump and can make front cover access a bit difficult on occasion, but then I've always used electric fuel pumps anyway.

38HAULR

I have used front mount on a SBC in a 1935 Ford Coupe.  The mount consisted of,if you visualise,  flat steel plate with a cut out enabling the removal of timing case ,essentially a "horseshoe".  bolted to the front of the block with welded and  gussetted right angle plates that took Ford Cortina 4 Cyl engine mounts similar to the old sidevalve mounts in their factory position on the front crossmember..........Frank.

tomslik

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"You my recall that back in early October, while searching for a good S10 T-5, I fell in an old salvage yard and broke my right femur. Put my car building on hold.

Well, I am healed to the point where I can get around without a cane. But I have a long way to go. Even so, I am starting to mess around again in the shop.

And I have a bit of a dilemma.

I want to run a T-5 with a 283 in my Model A coupe project.

I have two 283 blocks. A 57 with no side mounts. And a 58+ with the side mounts.

Both need to be rebuilt.

I really like the look of the old Hurst style front motor mounts, the ones that bolt to the front of the block. But I have been told many times that these should not be used with a tail shaft transmission mount unless side mounts at the bell housing are used as well.

Do you all subscribe to this or do you think I can use the early front mount 283 with the tail shaft mount only?

Would a Lakewood bell housing change the equation?

that's what I'D do(if you're dead set on using a non side mount block), get one that has the 55-57 chevy adapters and go at it THAT way

even thogh my feet hurt all the time, i still like 'em

I could fabricate side mounts. But they will complicate exhaust routing and will not look right.

If I have to use bell housing mounts I will most likely use the later 283 instead. But I want expert opinions before I make a decision.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Deuce

LOOK and see if your 57 block has the starter bolt holes already drilled and tapped.

Upper most left corner of the photo

Also remember that some of the early SBC require a flat milled in the rear of the camshaft ... when rebuilding ... I believe the 57's did

RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "Deuce"LOOK and see if your 57 block has the starter bolt holes already drilled and tapped.

Also remember that some of the early SBC require a flat milled in the rear of the camshaft ... when rebuilding ... I believe the 57's did  

Good advice Deuce.  

Both blocks are at my machinist friends shop.  I'll slip by and check this coming week.

I think the 55 and 56 blocks had the early oiling system.  Changed in 57.  But certainly something that needs to be checked.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

tomslik

wouldn't matter if you use the scattershield.
if it has a block saver plate, it may be tapped for a bellhousing mounted starter
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list