235 to 242

Started by Gilles, June 20, 2004, 02:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles

Some of you maybe remember that I am rebuilding a  1956 235 Chevy truck engine for a friend. He intend to put it on his 1951 Chevrolet 4 doors.

I took appart this engine and found it already been rebored 0.030'' Unfortunetly it needs to be rebore again. I measured it carrefully and found the cylinders worn out too much to rebore to 0.040''. On the Northernautoparts catalog they list 0.060'' oversize pistons for this engine. It would make something around 242 CI.

But is it safe to rebore a 235 0.060"?

Thanks for the answer.

:?: Gilles :?:

47wood

Only had experience with one.  My dad had a 235 in a 58 Chevy wagon that we bored .60 over and it ran great.  Others have probably had more experience ...the 235 is a tough well-engineered block!    :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

unklian

It sounds like alot,but the older blocks were much thicker castings.
A well equipped machine shop should have a sonic checker to test the wall thickness before boring.

Phat

Not a problem.  Mine is .080 over and  i have seen .125 over.   I run it ever day and runs just great.No overheating and no problems yet 35.000 miles on this one. Its also got a lot off the deck and a lot off the head so the comp is up there a little. and gets 19-24 mpg with a o/d 5 speed.
Old racers go in deep and come out hard

Gilles

Thanks a lot to share your experiences. It sounds like I'll have it rebore 0.060 !

:lol: Gilles :lol: