EGR valve blockoff

Started by 57larry, December 28, 2008, 09:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57larry

is there a EGR valve blockoff plate for a Chevy V8 intake available at any parts store or is it something I have to make?

GPster

I think that you have to make them. What I've always liked is using intake manifolds off of '70s trucks befor the trucks had to have EGR so that people couldn't get you for dis-mantling the ERG system. GPster

wayne petty

AZ shows them as a few days special order for 12 bucks... but i have seen them in various stores on the performance isle..

search for egr block off plates...

if you have the intake off.. and the openings are round.. which not all are.. you can tap them to tapered pipe and put in tapered pipe plugs.. which are available in square head... hex head.. and internal hex and internal square  also.. depending on where you look for them...

beware... that blocking off the egr when using an emission calibrated carb may make the engine ping... the exhaust gas flow into the intake reduces the amount of burnable air and lowers the combustion temps... so you might need to richen up the primarys a tiny bit.. it will also cause the car to fail the NOX portion of any smog tests...  again.. if this is on an emission controlled car or truck..

sedanman

I left mine on the engine and blocked the vacume hose with a small ball bearing. That way it appears to be functional, but never opens. This may be wrong but engine seems to run fine. I had asked this question a long time ago and that is what was suggested to me.

Vic

57larry

thanks for the replys. it was warm in Indy so I made a block off plate and put on an Edelbrock carb  that I had. 84 chevy daily driver pickup is running strong now