If you need a welding helmet....

Started by 1FATGMC, July 19, 2004, 02:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

If you are looking for an "auto-darkening" helmet I can recommend this one from Harbor Freight.  Item #ITEM 47277-5VGA.

I bought it earlier  this year and got to use it a little, but a lot more lately and like it even better that the last auto-darkening helmet I had.

The viewing area is large enough to easily see with my bifocals.  I weld a lot better with one of these as I don't have to flip the hood down and it is really nice like welding under a car in a tight area where it is hard to put your hood up and down.  I would never go back to a standard helmet again.

It is on sale for $59.99 on the internet and in their latest catalogs.  

c ya, Sum

Dirk35

I have problems with all of the auto-darkening helmets not darkening fast enough. They say that people with the recessive blue eyes are typically more sensitive to light. I have found that to be true for me. I get a headache after using my brother's helmet, (its one of the top line ones) so I stick with the flip down.

Do you guys think its just me, or is there really something to that millisecond of light?

2rods

I have the same problem so I thought maybe the helmet wasn't working.

purplepickup

Quote from: "Dirk35"I have problems with all of the auto-darkening helmets not darkening fast enough.
I used to have that problem til I figured out the solar battery needs light to stay charged.  :oops:  I was wrapping it in a pillowcase to keep shop dust off it.  I hang it by the window now and it works great.  I'm sure you guys aren't as dumb as me so your problem is probably because of your sensitive eyes.
George

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Dirk35"
Do you guys think its just me, or is there really something to that millisecond of light?

The two I've used seem to darken plenty quick as long as the battery is up as George mentioned.

This one has a varible setting for shade darkness and also a setting that sets the delay for the time it takes to clear from the dark stage.

c ya, Sum