Budget electric cooling fan

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, November 29, 2008, 09:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I need some additional air movement through a radiator.  The car is not driven much on the street.

I've seen these inexpensive electric fans Clik HERE.

I  figure the electric motors are low budget , but the fan may get the job done I need....  

I need a narrow fan about 12 - 13  inches in diameter. Needs to be a pusher fan.

The photo I posted indicates how little space I have on the engine side of the radiator...the yellow line circles the current 10 inch fan I have on the car which is not enough.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"I need some additional air movement through a radiator.  The car is not driven much on the street.

I've seen these inexpensive electric fans Clik HERE.

I  figure the electric motors are low budget , but the fan may get the job done I need....  

I need a narrow fan about 12 - 13  inches in diameter. Needs to be a pusher fan.

The photo I posted indicates how little space I have on the engine side of the radiator...the yellow line circles the current 10 inch fan I have on the car which is not enough.

8)
a GOOD pusher fan will be straight bladed (usually) and noisy as hell, prolly not an issue on thefalcon.

off to the yunkyards boy!
or shoot me the exact deeemensions as i've got a BUNCH of fans laying around.
some suck, some blow...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

wayne petty

i like the idea of those fans being so inexpensive ... and if you read closely  the motors and the fan blades can be reversed... so they can be used as a pusher or puller...   ( HUMOR or if your parachute fails..)

tony.... just curious...   do you run the fan when after the run at the strip or ... on parts runs... and it's not enough to cool the motor for daily driving...

my thoughts ... you might also look at installing a layer of foam inside the hood that will stops all the ram air that flows over the core support through the radiator...

some black floor runner can be installed ( between the core support and the lower valance) like they do with later models with little plastic trees retainers... so all the ram air though the grill goes through the radiator..

if you want... i can post the dorman pdf links for replacement radiator cooling fans... pictures one...  applications on the other so you can have some idea of which cars to look in...

Crosley.In.AZ

Hi,

Wayne.....The Falcon runs kool at speed..  sitting still it slowly  heats up if the engine is  running.  Cooling fan is on a thermostat..pops fan  on at 190  with a 180 thermostat in the engine.

the Falcon got warm 210*F plus  a couple of times  while in the stage lanes , waiting to get into the water box.  

I am careful with the car ...  so i  push it forward in the stage lane so i do not build a bunch of heat before I make a full  power run.  :lol:

With use this may self correct with some miles on the engine.. next summer will be a problem though.... although we race at night here (only 105 then)

I do not drive this car on the street much.  A bit too much camshaft for the little engine

8)
Tony

Topsterguy

Speaking of "inexpensive" electric fans, I had a Zirgo 16" with the swirl blades on my coupe and it gave up on me last summer in Spokane at a run. A pal of mine from Vancouver was down there as well and told me how his same fan gave up on him a weel before, and knew another guy who's same one did too! From what I've heard since from a dealer, it's pretty common for him to get these Zirgo fans returned. SO, I've since pulled the replacement I put in to get me home ( because it was a direct bolt in) and put in a 16" mechnical one. They don't burn up!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

chimp koose

Crosley I know it sounds unbearable but I have always used the interior heater on full blast with the drivers door open on the return road . It is not very comfortable but it does pull some heat off the motor.

chimp koose

Crosley ,Im sure you do this too but just in case you don't ,try popping the hood open a few inches and leave it that way in the staging lanes. Better yet is to shim the hood to sit slightly open at the back when latched you will see more airflow  down the track and it will vent off underhood heat in the staging lanes without the need to get out of the car and close the hood before making a run.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "chimp koose"Crosley I know it sounds unbearable but I have always used the interior heater on full blast with the drivers door open on the return road . It is not very comfortable but it does pull some heat off the motor.

Heater core puked on this car many years ago...  

At the current time all projects are on hold.........  possibly for sale soon.  :?
Tony

C9

Overheating at slow speeds and idle is pretty typical of cars running sans vacuum advance or plugged into the wrong vacuum source.
Assuming the rest of the cooling system is in good condition.

Do you have vacuum advance?

And if so, where is the vacuum sourced from?

The cars that I see doing the overheat at low speed and idle, especially in summer traffic, either are not running vacuum advance or have it sourced to ported vacuum.

Might want to plug the vacuum advance distributor into manifold vacuum if in fact you do have vacuum advance.

One way to test without buying a vacuum advance distributor if you don't have one would be to fire the engine, let it warm to normal temps then advance the timing to about 24 degrees BTDC, let the car idle and see where the temps go.

Granted, your engine is an inline six, but an engines an engine and they all respond pretty much the same....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Crosley.In.AZ

Hi C9,

No vacuum to the dizzy on this Ford.  I'm drag racing it only at this point.

The cam shaft profile , torque converter slippage and 4.10 gears does not make the car fun for a long haul on the street.

I need a bit more air through the radiator when I am moving the car around the pits and in the stage lanes.

WIth only 7 runs on the actual drag strip , I have learned the engine likes 200*F on the gauge when I stage the car at the line.  The temp sensor is on the t-stat housing with 180* t-stat used.

I am getting back on my foot brake game...  my worse reaction time this past sunday was a .210  with the best at .022

8)
Tony

tomslik

how thick can the fan be?
as i said before, i've got a few fans around....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Ed ke6bnl

another non zirgo person, driving my wife 68 mustang a block from the hose I hear a clankyity clank get home and all the blades on the fan are gone just a hub spinning. fan came on up the hil to the house and spun all the blades off. replace with a spall and then went back to manual. Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"how thick can the fan be?
as i said before, i've got a few fans around....

I'll try to get some measurements.  The only place I have room is in front of the radiator.

If I can add a larger fan in front and remove the other fan I will be equal on weight.

8)
Tony